UMD Student Organizations Show Their Support for Breast Cancer Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

One in Eight.

That is the number of women who will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.

Breast cancer, when detected early, has a high survival rate, but early detection. Being aware of the disease and knowing how to check your body is key. Often times, however, college-aged women are unaware of the resources and further information available to them on how to detect the disease early.

Some ways women can lower their risk of breast cancer are: reducing red meat consumption, exercising on a regular basis, drinking in moderation, reducing fat intake and maintaining a healthy BMI, according to Bright Pink.

Additionally, like with many other forms of cancer, people can be at varying degrees of risk. It is important for young women to talk to their families now in order to assess the risk.

As the semester seems to fly by, students have found themselves in the middle of October. October is filled with pumpkin spiced lattes, Halloween, and dreaded papers and midterm exams. However, October is also filled with loads of pink — pink ribbons, pink sports jerseys, and anything else you can think of is now probably also pink.

Different groups on campus are hosting their own events to spread awareness for the issue, celebrate survivors and remember those who have passed.

More African American women die of breast cancer than any other race, according to the National Cancer Institute. The University of Maryland chapter of the NAACP and the National Council of Negro Women held a Breast cancer awareness brunch on October 9 at the Nyumburu Cultural Center.  They discussed breast health and  ow breast cancer impacts women of color, UMD NAACP President Lauryn Froneberger, said.

“We wanted the event to not only have that educational piece but also feature a 15 year survivor and a startup created by a UMD alum that focuses on breast health and hair care,” Froneberger said.

Another campus event is held on Fraternity Row. Zeta Tau Alpha has partnered with Kappa Alpha fraternity each October for the past few years for Breastfest of Champions. This event previously raised money for the Zeta Tau Alpha Foundation and The Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. This year, the money raised by the sisters of ZTA will be donated to the University of Maryland Medical System.

This event will be held on October 20 and will feature live bands, food, and speakers!

This October, it is incredibly important for college aged women to become more educated on breast cancer and to learn their bodies so that they can detect any change. Early detection saves lives, so it is important that women know what to look for.

Julia Bryant is a Freshman Multi-Platform Journalism Major in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland with plans to double major in French studies. She is also an avid member of both the Club Swim Team and Maryland Triathlon Team. She hopes to one day work for National Public Radio as a political correspondent!