TV Shows to Look Forward to this Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

September means different things to different people. Classes begin, the leaves start to change and the days get shorter. And, as the hot summer sun starts to cool, people flock to the warmth of their living rooms and the images on their TV screens (or computers). Television studios start debuting new series and seasons of shows to cater to everyone’s fantasies. This year is no different, with a plethora of new shows and beloved favorites to watch. Below are brief previews of you can expect to show up your screen later this season.

NEWCOMERS

SELFIEABC comedyEmily Tuttle, a junior English major, said “I saw Selfie and I recognized [main actress Karen Gillan] and it has a bunch of actors that I like and I was like ‘Oh, this looks really interesting and it looks really funny.’”

Based loosely on the musical ‘My Fair Lady,’ Gillan plays Eliza Dooley, a social media socialite who doesn’t know how to connect with real people. John Cho plays what ABC calls her “co-worker and marketing guru” who takes Eliza under his wing and teaches her about the world outside the screen. Premieres September 30 at 8e/7c.

SCORPIONCBS dramaInspired by a true story, ‘Scorpion’ follows genius Walter O’Brien and his group of eclectic Homeland Security coworkers as they protect the country from threats enemies may pose. The cast comprises of relative unknowns, the most familiar name being Katharine McPhee from ‘American Idol’ and ‘Smash.’ Premieres September 22 at 9e/8c.

RED BAND SOCIETYFox dramedyTwelve-year-old Charlie narrates this show from a coma in LA’s Ocean Park Hospital about his band of admitted buddies, ranging from new kid Jordi to Dash the rebel. Academy Award-winning actress Octavia Spencer shows promise as Nurse Jackson, “a caretaker with a take-no-prisoners approach,” and ‘Brothers and Sisters’ actor Dave Annable plays the hospital’s pediatric surgeon.

Senior biology major Christa Giannaccini said Red Band Society “looks pretty cool,” but she’s “just excited to see new TV shows that aren’t repeats.” Premieres September 17 at 9e/8c.

OLD FAVORITES

GREY’S ANATOMYABC dramaAt the end of last season, Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital and its employees said goodbye to Dr. Cristina Yang. This season, there’s a new doctor in town, Derek still wants to move to DC while Meredith tries to adjust, and Geena Davis guest stars in the first episode.

“I’m a die-hard fan,” said Monica Sacks, a senior biology major. “It’s like the tenth season and I still watch every episode.” It’s actually the eleventh season that premieres September 25 at 8e/7c with “I Must Have Lost It on the Wind.”

THE MINDY PROJECTFox comedyWhen viewers last saw Drs. Mindy Lahiri and Danny Castellano, they were making out on top of the Empire State Building, fulfilling Mindy’s dream. This season, Fox says that the series will “continue to explore Mindy and Danny’s romantic and professional relationship.” Season 3 premieres September 16 at 9:30e/8:30c with “We’re a Couple Now, Haters!”

MARVEL’S AGENTS OF SHIELDABC dramatic actionABC hasn’t said much about the new season of their successful comic book-inspired series, much to the dismay of freshman chemical engineering major Samantha Weaver.

“I’m a superhero geek, man. I’m into it, I love it a lot.”

Star Clark Gregg said the first episode of the season takes place months after the finale of the last one and that Hayley Atwell, ‘Captain America: The First Avenger’s’ Agent Peggy Carter will guest star in the premiere. Atwell will star in ABC’s new spinoff ‘Agent Carter’ later this year. Season 2 premieres September 23 at 9e/8c with “Shadows.”

junior journalism major with a lot of love for writing
Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.