Traveling Hacks For Spring Break!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Whether you are headed to a tropical paradise, taking a road trip with friends, or simply returning home,  Terps are packing up and leaving College Park in a few weeks for SPRING BREAK! So, here is a list of tips and tricks that I’ve picked up through my travels that will help make your own trip worry-free!

1.Roll your clothes instead of folding!

This easy packing method will allow you to pack so much more! It’ll turn a stuffed suitcase into a half-packed suitcase.

2.Pack neutral colors so you can mix and match.

By packing clothes that will pair easily with other clothes, you are able to create twice as many outfits with half as many clothes. For example, packing pieces like a simple black dress, a denim shirt, a white t-shirt, denim shorts, a maxi-skirt, and a black sweater, can create at least 5 different outfits with layering pieces, so you’re always dressed appropriately. You can always pack scarves and simple jewelry to make the outfits look different. Plus, the less room you take up in your suitcase means the more room you have for fun souvenirs!

3.Stuff socks in shoes to create more space.

Rather than putting socks and underwear in a huge rolled-up ball in your suitcase, find different nooks for them! Even though these garments are small they can end up taking up a lot of unnecessary space. Don’t forget to pack extras, though!

4.Put complete outfits in Ziploc bags.

This is particularly helpful if you know what you will be doing each day or getting pretty dirty. During my Alternative Breaks trip to Guatemala, I separated my outfits in Ziploc bags so that I had definite outfits for service and definite outfits for sightseeing. This is the perfect way to make sure you have enough clothes for each day. Plus, you’ll have somewhere to put your dirty clothes after you wear them without mixing them with clean clothes!

5.Attach a brightly colored tag to your suitcase.

Since everyone has a variation of the same black suitcase, finding yours on the conveyer belt can be even more difficult. Make yours easy to spot by attaching a ribbon, sticker, tape, or a tag to your suitcase so that you can spend less time waiting at baggage claim, and more time enjoying your break!

6.Have a reusable water bottle.

I can’t express enough how important it will be to have a water bottle. Keep it empty as you go through airport security, but fill it up once you get through. While on your trip, make an active effort to keep it filled. Paying for water bottles, especially in tourist-y places, can put a huge dent in your wallet. Another helpful tip: make sure your water bottle has a clip or some kind of loop so you can hook it to your cross-body bag and travel hands-free!

7.Make copies of all important documents and write down important numbers.

This is especially true if you are going abroad. Keep copies of your passport, flight itinerary information, your license, etc. While it’s incredibly important to keep track of these documents, a photocopy can sometimes be helpful if you misplace them and you are in a jam.

8.Separate money.

When my wallet was stolen while I was in Rome, I was so grateful that I listened to this tip. Don’t keep all of your money in your wallet. Put only the amount you need for the day in your wallet. When you are travelling, split your money up into various places in your carry-on. If one thing is stolen, you won’t have lost all of your money. Extra tip: While I was abroad, I had gotten a leather bracelet that had a zipper on the inside so I could keep a $20 dollar bill in it. No one ever knew it was in there and I was never without money! Find something like that, and you’ll always be secure!

9.Screen shot maps/bus routes/etc.

If you are travelling to a place that limits your phone use or data, this is super helpful in making sure you can get to where you need to go. Type in the location or area you will be while you still have data or Wi-Fi, screen shot the map, and then you’ll be able to pull it up later. The same goes for other things like bus routes and times or your hotel information!

10.Be mindful when booking flights.

Some travel websites track how many times you’ve visited their site, and will raise the prices each time you visit the site. To avoid this from happening, turn on private browsing.

11.For cheap places to stay, try Air BnB or hostelbookers.com

If you feel comfortable sleeping or staying with strangers, these options are super affordable! The upside to staying in hostels is that you meet really cool people and they’ll often be able to tell you about cool sights to see. Staying with Air BnB gives you that “local” feel.

12.Use your Student ID!

Always ask if there are student discounts! You’d be surprised how many places (especially in Europe) let students into museums and other historical places for a reduced rate or completely free! Even if they don’t, it never hurts to ask.

13.Keep an outfit in your carry-on.

In the event your luggage is lost, having a complete set of clothes is critical until you can locate your luggage or get your hands on some new clothes.

14.Download a language app.

If you are going somewhere that speaks a different language, download an app like Duolingo, which will teach you important phrases/words, so you can try your best to speak the native language! Making the effort to speak the native language is often appreciated by locals, and they will be more inclined to help you.

15.Create a list of must-sees, and then a list of maybes –that way you’ll never be looking for something to do.

Before your trip, look through pamphlets or check out websites like TripAdvisor to find exciting things to do. Make a list of what you definitely want to check out, and coordinate your days around those sights. It’ll help to have a plan and an estimated route –of course you can still go off plan, but it helps to have an idea of what you want to do!

Have fun this spring break, Terps! Stay safe, travel smart, and take the break you deserve!