‘Tis The Season For Starbucks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

The temperatures are dropping, and the beanies and fuzzy socks are coming out! The holiday season is drawing near and one of the tell tail signs are the Starbucks holiday cups.

Starbucks has been sending out seasonal red cups since 1997. Every year since, Starbucks shops in the United States and Canada release their new holiday cups Nov. 1 and bring back some of the season’s favorite drinks.

This year’s Starbucks cup is designed with a pair of hands holding the signature red cups, and there are two red ribbons coming out of the cups, connecting to all different festive holiday scenes; for example, a Christmas tree, presents, snowflakes, hot chocolate and cuter, spirited scenes.

Executive creative director for Starbucks Leanne Fremar said, “This year’s cup is intentionally designed to encourage our customers to add their own color and illustrations.” Starbucks is all about creativity and customers have been decorating cups for years. Their theme for their holiday campaign this year is “Give Good,” according to news.starbucks.com

“Giving good can be as small as someone opening the door for you, or recognizing the people that enrich your life- your child’s teacher, a caregiver, a family friend,” Fremar said. “The holidays are a time to celebrate all the good we give to each other and our community.” The cups get everyone in the holiday spirit and also encourage people to be good and do good. 

However, there are always those people who just love to complain, and even coffee cups can’t catch a break. Naturally, people took to Twitter to voice their complaints.

But not all people are complainers, many in fact are pleased with the Starbucks cup design. Starbucks wants everyone to embrace the holiday spirit, and their festive cups are a way of doing so.

Next time you are in Starbucks, make sure to check out their cups. To hear more about the creative story behind the cups visit the Starbucks site here!