The Sounds of the Season- Fall’s New Albums

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

The new beats have just begun. In addition to the sought after albums below, be sure to check out the highly anticipated release of  Coldplay’s “Mylo Xyloto,” on Oct. 24, 2011 and Drake’s “Take Care” dropping on Nov. 15, 2011.

Blink-182 – Neighborhoods

Being that this was SoCal rock band Blink-182’s first album in eight years, there was obviously a lot of anticipation for their new album, “Neighborhoods.” The album dropped Sept. 27, 2011 and had a lot of mixed feedback because of it’s more grown-up sound, but it’s just that which makes it a great album. In “Ghosts on the Dance floor,” the band somewhat still sticks to its catchy, passionate lyrics that give heartfelt teenagers hope about life. That’s the reason we all love them, right? Their more mature sound is heard through hit single, “Up All Night,” which sings, “Everyone raises kids in a world that changes life to a bitter game.” All in all, the record is definitely worth giving a listen. Whether it prompts you to reminisce on your years of teenage angst or focus more on the band’s increased chill, adult sound, you will not regret it.
(Picture from albumart.org)

Demi Lovato – Unbroken
Demi Lovato’s third studio album, “Unbroken,” is one of this season’s freshest sounds. Released Sept. 20, 2011, Lovato’s third full-length is doing very well for itself and is holding the third spot of iTunes’s Top Albums chart. Lovato’s sound takes a different approach than in her previous pop, light-hearted record “Here We Go Again.” Instead, “Unbroken” has more of an R&B sort of sound, with songs like hit-single, “Skyscraper” and “Together” ft. Jason DeRulo, that definitely tugs on our heart strings. Other artists featured on the record are Missy Elliot, Timbaland, Dev, and Iyaz. Lovato does it again and even better; with a more grown-up sound and heartfelt lyrics, she will definitely broaden her audience with this one.

J.Cole – Cole World: Sideline Story

After four long years of guest appearances, openings, and releasing mix tapes, J. Cole has finally released his first full-length album, “Cole World: The Sideline Story.” The album came out Sept. 23, 2011 and there was immediate buzz around the entire thing. The overall aura of the album is pretty upbeat and chill; makes you want to drive around and blast it through your stereo. In “Dollar and a Dream III,” the North Carolina bred rapper gets a bit more serious and talks of how he went from basically nothing to the top of the hip-hop world. There are also several celebrity collaborations throughout the album: Trey Songs, Drake, and Jay-Z to name a few.  Be sure to check it out if you haven’t already.
(Picture from albumart.org)

Ryan Adams – Ashes & Fire

Ryan Adams, 36 year-old country rock singer has returned with his new album that dropped Oct. 11, 2011, called “Ashes & Fire.” I have always had a place in my heart for Adams and was super anxious to hear his new album, along with many other loyal fans. Adams uses songs like “Dirty Rain” to add some playful undertone to the album; however, the majority of the songs are very love oriented. But hey, who says there’s anything wrong with that? His heavy-hearted lyrics and smooth tones are perfect for the transition from fall to winter. Put Ashes and Fire on repeat and cuddle up inside on a dreary autumn night and you are good to go.