Reasons To Love Yourself Today And Everyday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

International Survivors of Suicide Day was Nov. 19 and with increasingly loud voices calling to end the stigma associated with mental illness, it is important that we keep in mind that a person may be battling a silent battle that we know nothing about. So, we always need to practice kindness and patience.

According to Mental Health America, approximately one in five adults in the United States have some sort of mental illness. No matter what inner conflict you or a loved one may be experiencing, it is essential to acknowledge that your battle is valid and that there are those who want to help you find solutions. Even if you aren’t struggling with a mental disorder, it’s still always nice to be reminded why self-love is important, year round, and give some perspective. Here are some reminders.

1. You are here at the University of Maryland.

Yeah, that seems like a weird statement…but think about it. Your hard work gave you the ability to attend a top-tier public university, where you have endless opportunities to partake in research and confidently prepare for your future career. You can pursue your passions and make your impact on the world around you. You can make an awesome difference in the lives of many.

2. You’re alive.

Your heart has blood vessels that could stretch over 60,000 miles. Your stomach acid can melt metal. There are 37 trillion cells in your body that are constantly regenerating. Whenever you feel insignificant, remember that your existence through breath and movement is a medical miracle and a work of intricate art.

3. You are unique and special.

It’s true when they say that there is nobody else like you. Nobody has the same DNA as you, or the same exact appearance, or the same exact goals and aspirations. Society has certain unattainable and singular ideas of “beauty,” and it is important to note that just because you may not look like a certain model doesn’t mean you aren’t beautiful in your own way. Your beauty is deeper than the surface—how you treat others and having a positive and confident outlook makes you lovely.

4. Your past doesn’t define you.

As actor Andrew Davidson once said, “You are more than your scars.” Despite where you have been, you still have so many exciting possibilities of where you can go, and you are able to reinvent yourself for the better. Your mistakes can teach you many valuable lessons and can help you become stronger in the face of future challenges. Take your scars and struggles and wear them with pride.

5. You are never alone.

No matter how isolated you feel, there is somebody out there rooting for you. A friend, family member, or leader in your community. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.

You are loved and cared for, and your worth has no limit.

Hey, everybody! My name is Jenna Pierson and I am a freshman Journalism Major at the University of Maryland, College Park. I am from Parkersburg, WV, which is a medium-sized town on the Ohio River. I love all things beauty, fashion, and nutrition/fitness. Some of my hobbies include leisurely reading, working out, participating in theatrical productions and traveling. Also, I may or may not love my dogs more than I love most humans. I also love to spend time with my friends, family, and long-term boyfriend. I am so happy to be a Her Campus Contributor!