Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Maryland Blog

How to Avoid a Hangover

By Allie Fick
November 22, 2013 - 4:19pm

No one wants to feel sick after a night of drinking. Waking up with a pounding headache, upset stomach, and extreme thirst is the last thing anyone wants to do after a night out. Luckily, there's a way to avoid this. A night of drinking doesn't always have to end badly. If you drink moderately, and in a safe way, you can avoid a hangover completely. It's important to make sure you eat something before you begin drinking. Drinking on an empty stomach is never a good idea. READ MORE

What To Expect on Black Friday

By Caroline L. Smith
November 22, 2013 - 12:00pm

Black Friday is the largest shopping day of the entire year. People wait outside for hours on end for the biggest savings on everything to get a head start on the holiday shopping season. If you are new to Black Friday, here’s what to expect on one of the craziest days ever. Before we get started, first things first: But have no fear! Here are best ways to surviving your Black Friday experience. Have a good attitude and go into your first Black Friday experience with open eyes. Feed off of the hype of everyone else, even if you are still 100% asleep. READ MORE

You Know You’re From Out of State When…

By Lindsey Brown
November 21, 2013 - 3:00pm

1. You don’t get why Marylanders tell you what county their from instead of what town. 2. When you realize that that little hammer isn’t a children’s toy and is in fact something you use to eat crabs. 3. You just simply don’t understand why Marylanders put Old Bay on literally everything. READ MORE

10 Ways to Spice Up Your Dorm Room

By Brandi Samuel
November 20, 2013 - 4:00pm

Tired of the same old dorm decorations? Students at the University of Maryland College Park share ideas on how to add spark to a dull dorm room. Roommates, Camille Merai and Alexa Robinson, both sophomores, described their room decor. Robinson said since their dorm has no particular color scheme, everything ‘fits’. Merai added that lighting and bright colors are important to features to them when decorating. “More than anything, we looked at a lot of Pinterest photos,” Merai said. Robinson and Merai’s room included words of encouragement around their mirror, various posters, and magazine cut-outs that spell out various inspirational phrases. READ MORE

Why Channing Tatum Would Be the Best Boyfriend Ever

By Claudia Pagan
November 19, 2013 - 2:00pm

He’ll laugh at all of your jokes He’ll believe anything you say He’ll never make fun of your fear of spiders He’ll always answer your calls He likes long bike rides He’ll be a (good) distraction from school READ MORE

20 Signs You Go to the University of Maryland

By Jamie Weissman
November 18, 2013 - 8:30am

Most college students have an immense amount of pride and school spirit and they will probably tell you their school is the best. However, students in College Park know something they don’t know: The University of Maryland is the best. Here are the 20 signs you know you go to The University of Maryland. 20. When you walk to class, you automatically prepare for a warzone of squirrels. Game on. 19. “ Duke” is one word that evokes feelings of hatred and anger. READ MORE

15 Things Only Girls Born in the 90s Will Understand

By Alexandra Turcios-Cruz
November 14, 2013 - 4:00pm

1. Mean Girls For us girls born in the 90s we were probably in elementary or middle school when this masterpiece came out. To this day, this movie is a guide to the world of girls. This movie is our absolute favorite and it always will be. 2. Getting your ears pierced at Claire’s READ MORE

8 Signs That You're Addicted to Your Cell Phone

By Rachel Dooley
November 12, 2013 - 12:04pm

Earlier in the year a friend of mine totaled her car while driving to work.  She was texting.  Everything was completely fine (except her car) and she walked out of the accident with no scratches, but it really made me think about how attached we are to our phones and social media.  Here are 8 ways to know if you need to rethink your cellphone usage. READ MORE

Transferring Woes

By Rachel Dooley
November 9, 2013 - 2:00pm

I was at a small, liberal arts college before coming to Maryland.  After experiencing the ups and downs of going to a school with less than 5,000 people and no sports teams, I realized what I wanted out of college was different than I what I had originally desired. Adjusting to college is more difficult than most people expect, especially as a transfer.  And while the transfer process is difficult, one of the hardest part seems to come at the end – getting accustomed to your new school. READ MORE

12 Reasons Why You Are Obsessed With Your Big

By Alessia Grunberger
November 8, 2013 - 12:00pm

Our sorority bigs are quite the characters. A big is your role model, your best friend, your mentor, and your sister. Here are 12 reasons why we are obsessed with our bigs: 1. When you find out who your big is…and she’s perfect. This is you during Big/Little Reveal. 2. When your big FINALLY passes down her letters and showers you with crafts and other gifts. You’re like: READ MORE