Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Maryland Blog

The Do’s and Don’ts of a Summer Break- Up

By Phoebe Dinner
August 23, 2013 - 12:00pm

Disclaimer: It is nearly impossible to know how to fall out of love with someone. Maybe it is true when they say that time heals all wounds. But having recently gone through a break-up myself I have complied a list of do’s and don’ts to fill the time you may spend getting over someone who clearly doesn’t deserve you. READ MORE

The Summer Songs You Can't Get Out of Your Head

By Mia Simon
August 22, 2013 - 12:10pm

As summer comes to a close, it is always fun to stop and think about all the memories from the season. Every year there are new experiences to reminisce about—but almost every summer, there is a song that was your anthem for the season. The summer music scene has artists of every genre competing for that No. 1 spot on the Billboard Hot 100. Whether an artist is trying to make a comeback like Justin Timberlake, or continue their musical hierarchy like Jay-Z, the summer brings out the best in artists. Sophomore Journalism major Anika Reed noticed that the radio showcased music from all different genres. READ MORE

I am Woman, Hear Me... Pin?

By Alicia McElhaney
August 20, 2013 - 12:00pm

“Why would I buy that when I could just craft it?” Sound familiar? This statement, a favorite among young women, especially Pinterest users, is just one of the many thoughts that cross the minds of young women caught up in the recent Do It Yourself (DIY) craze. READ MORE

Marvelous Manicures

By Chloe Leshner
May 6, 2013 - 8:06pm

A recent fashion trend is all about the details.  This award season celebrities were modeling much more than beautiful gowns, shoes, and jewelry on the red carpets.  It wasn’t the most obvious accessory but it definitely made a bold statement. Many musicians and movie stars had unique manicures that set them apart from the crowd.   There were neutral nails, metallic nails, and those brave enough to add a pop of color with neon nails.  Some celebs went for the “ombré” look, having each nail painted a different shade of one color.   But the best manicures embraced patterns, studs, or crystals … Zooey Deschanel even had filmstrips painted on hers! READ MORE

Four Ways To Look Fabulous for Graduation

By Marti Reiff
May 5, 2013 - 8:46pm

READ MORE

Beautiful Maryland weather vs. Horrible UMD schedules

By Laura Shaposhnikova
May 1, 2013 - 11:28am

This weeks forecast is steadily in the high 60's and low 70's with tons of sunshine and low chances of rain. This weeks calendar, however, is full of group projects, term papers, and cramming last minute assignments before the finals rush comes toppling down over us all.             The problem is, sunshine is literally a lifeline for so many after a cold, rainy winter. But finishing up the semester strong is absolutely critical for so many classes. What's a girl to do? Real life collegiettes tell us how they balance fun in the sun with pouding over their books. READ MORE

America Reads Day

By Sharon Johnson
May 1, 2013 - 2:39am

320 first-graders from schools all over Prince Georges County gathered in Cole Field House early Friday to celebrate Maryland Reads Day. The five hour event was hosted by the on-campus tutoring organization America Reads*America Counts, an organization that seeks to improve the skills of students who are falling behind in math and reading.
READ MORE

Summer Job Vs. Unpaid Internship

By Sharon Johnson
April 25, 2013 - 2:23pm

Over the past few months, I have been on the hunt for summer journalism internships to add to my resume as a broadcast student. While scouring through emails about internship opportunities, however, I have seen a few common requirements: 1.     You must have a certain amount of experience to perform the required tasks; 2.     The employer usually want juniors, seniors, or recent graduates; 3.     The internship is unpaid.
If a student meets the above criteria, they have to ask themselves, “Would I rather work a whole summer and get paid at a job that has nothing to do with my career ambitions, or work in my field but struggle financially?” READ MORE

Stepping Out In Spring

By Abbey Weit
April 23, 2013 - 6:52pm

It’s that time of year again, where we shed our sweatshirts and start drinking in the sunshine. It’s finally springtime and with the warm weather here to stay it seems like all anyone wants to do is run around outside. As the temperature slowly begins to climb, more and more fabulous activities open up for us to enjoy. It is time to get up and be active and enjoy the great outdoors. Here are great ways to spend your sunny Saturday afternoon! READ MORE

Finding A New Way

By Phoebe Dinner
April 23, 2013 - 6:45pm

First semester seemed like another lifetime.  There was so much that being a newly initiated member of AEPhi brought that I didn’t even know what I was missing first semester. I always heard that balance was a hard thing to achieve in college but never had that much of a problem with it first semester because my schedule was not too overwhelming. READ MORE