Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Maryland Blog

The Need to Knows of Online Shopping

By Phoebe Dinner
February 19, 2014 - 12:02pm

It’s Wednesday and you have to get a great outfit by Friday and have zero time to go to the mall because you’re  buried in papers. And sorry, ladies, PG Plaza isn’t gonna cut it, either.  So, what do you do? All signs point to online shopping. Living in a house with over 30 girls’ means that packages come everyday, returns to these places are made almost everyday and satisfied online customers are not hard to come by. So let’s go back to our scenario where time is running out on finding a killer outfit in just a couple of days. Where do you go on the web? Well I asked some girls who are frequent flyers in the online shopping department about various online shopping websites and tried out some of these stores online for myself....

List Articles: The Worst Thing Ever to Hit The Internet

By Rachel Dooley
February 18, 2014 - 12:20pm

READ MORE

5 Romantic Valentine's Date Ideas

By Alexandra Turcios-Cruz
February 13, 2014 - 12:00pm

1. Go into Georgetown (shopping and cupcakes) One of the greatest benefits of going to school in Maryland is our proximity to D.C., and especially the gorgeous Georgetown! Georgetown has so much to offer from amazing shops to restaurants to the world-renown Georgetown Cupcake. Georgetown is so romantic and it’s the perfect place to spend a romantic evening on Valentine’s Day.  Don't let the snow stop you from this DC highlight.  2. Cook Together READ MORE

5 Things to Look Forward to in February

By Caroline L. Smith
February 5, 2014 - 12:00pm

Calling all the single ladies out there! As February rolls around, it seems as though the only thing that’s on a girl’s mind is Valentine’s Day. A lot of people dread February just because they may not be with any special someone to spend the “holiday of love” with. Instead of dreading the whole month, here are some fun things to look forward to in February that have absolutely nothing to do with Valentines Day. Why let one day ruin an entire month? READ MORE

The Benefits of Greek Life

By Jamie Weissman
February 4, 2014 - 12:19pm

As the spring semester begins at the University of Maryland, over 800 Maryland students are coming together for perhaps one of the biggest events on campus: sorority recruitment. Though there are often negative stereotypes about sorority rush, here are the top reasons to join one of the 15 amazing Panhellenic sorority chapters on campus:   1. Networking READ MORE

What It's Like to Go Through Recruitment

By Deanna Martino
January 30, 2014 - 12:00pm

You sign up for recruitment and mark all the dates in your calendar because you’re so excited and you can’t wait for it to start. Whenever you see a cute outfit you judge it in terms of whether or not you can wear it for a recruitment round. On the first day you see all the other women and you get a little nervous but then you remember how awesome you are. READ MORE

Tips for a Successful Recruitment from a Sister to a PNM

By Erica Tropp
January 29, 2014 - 12:00pm

It’s that time of year again: sorority sisters actively preparing fun songs, skits and decorations to intrigue possible new members while recruits worry about what is to come for them in the recruitment process and beyond. But leave those horrors of tripping over your words, smelling like sweaty gym socks, and ending up in the “wrong house” behind, as these helpful tips will ensure that your formal recruitment process is smooth sailing. READ MORE

Why You Should Make a Good Impression With Your Professors

By Joelle Lang
January 27, 2014 - 12:00pm

It’s hard to stand out at a big school like Maryland, especially in those large lecture halls.  And believe me, you want to stand out. A positive relationship with a professor can mean extra editorial help on papers. It can mean the difference between an A and a B. It can mean stellar recommendation letters.  It can mean landing that interview.  It can mean getting that job.  It can mean a brighter future. However, just like with every relationship, creating a bond with a professor takes effort, time, and devotion.  And with just like every relationship, it requires initiative and a good first impression. READ MORE

The Do's and Don'ts of Seeing Your Ex in Public

By Rachel Dooley
December 20, 2013 - 8:00am

After recently going through a significant break up, I learned that running into my ex around campus and out at parties was a common occurrence.  Some encounters were civil and friendly, while others were sad and painful, and all of them were awkward.  In fact, some of the DON’Ts on this list on based on my own mistakes.  So, follow these tips to make seeing your old flame less awkward for both of you. DO: Say hi and be friendly.  There is no need to be rude or cold.  At this point in your life you are a mature adult and are able to be civil if you see an ex at in public.  Make it a quick hello and then walk away, there is no need to draw it out any longer than that. READ MORE

The Inside Scoop on Sorority Recruitment

By Allie Fick
December 17, 2013 - 2:00pm

The decision whether to rush or not is a big one -- but for lots of girls, it's one of the best decisions of their college careers. Some girls are confused as to what rushing is, and how it works. A lot of girls get the wrong idea about rushing from movies or TV shows-- some like Greek made it look absolutely terrifying. The truth is, rushing isn't something to be afraid of. It's basically just getting to know as many of the girls in a sorority as possible, and letting them get to know you too. I like to call it, “Girl- Flirting.” READ MORE