Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Maryland Blog

The Benefits of Greek Life

By Jamie Weissman
February 4, 2014 - 12:19pm

As the spring semester begins at the University of Maryland, over 800 Maryland students are coming together for perhaps one of the biggest events on campus: sorority recruitment. Though there are often negative stereotypes about sorority rush, here are the top reasons to join one of the 15 amazing Panhellenic sorority chapters on campus:   1. Networking READ MORE

What It's Like to Go Through Recruitment

By Deanna Martino
January 30, 2014 - 12:00pm

You sign up for recruitment and mark all the dates in your calendar because you’re so excited and you can’t wait for it to start. Whenever you see a cute outfit you judge it in terms of whether or not you can wear it for a recruitment round. On the first day you see all the other women and you get a little nervous but then you remember how awesome you are. READ MORE

Tips for a Successful Recruitment from a Sister to a PNM

By Erica Tropp
January 29, 2014 - 12:00pm

It’s that time of year again: sorority sisters actively preparing fun songs, skits and decorations to intrigue possible new members while recruits worry about what is to come for them in the recruitment process and beyond. But leave those horrors of tripping over your words, smelling like sweaty gym socks, and ending up in the “wrong house” behind, as these helpful tips will ensure that your formal recruitment process is smooth sailing. READ MORE

Why You Should Make a Good Impression With Your Professors

By Joelle Lang
January 27, 2014 - 12:00pm

It’s hard to stand out at a big school like Maryland, especially in those large lecture halls.  And believe me, you want to stand out. A positive relationship with a professor can mean extra editorial help on papers. It can mean the difference between an A and a B. It can mean stellar recommendation letters.  It can mean landing that interview.  It can mean getting that job.  It can mean a brighter future. However, just like with every relationship, creating a bond with a professor takes effort, time, and devotion.  And with just like every relationship, it requires initiative and a good first impression. READ MORE

The Do's and Don'ts of Seeing Your Ex in Public

By Rachel Dooley
December 20, 2013 - 8:00am

After recently going through a significant break up, I learned that running into my ex around campus and out at parties was a common occurrence.  Some encounters were civil and friendly, while others were sad and painful, and all of them were awkward.  In fact, some of the DON’Ts on this list on based on my own mistakes.  So, follow these tips to make seeing your old flame less awkward for both of you. DO: Say hi and be friendly.  There is no need to be rude or cold.  At this point in your life you are a mature adult and are able to be civil if you see an ex at in public.  Make it a quick hello and then walk away, there is no need to draw it out any longer than that. READ MORE

The Inside Scoop on Sorority Recruitment

By Allie Fick
December 17, 2013 - 2:00pm

The decision whether to rush or not is a big one -- but for lots of girls, it's one of the best decisions of their college careers. Some girls are confused as to what rushing is, and how it works. A lot of girls get the wrong idea about rushing from movies or TV shows-- some like Greek made it look absolutely terrifying. The truth is, rushing isn't something to be afraid of. It's basically just getting to know as many of the girls in a sorority as possible, and letting them get to know you too. I like to call it, “Girl- Flirting.” READ MORE

Why the Hunger Games and Finals Week are Actually Similar

By Phoebe Dinner
December 16, 2013 - 12:13pm

As finals week rears its ugly head I can’t help but compare the situation to one of pop culture’s hottest movies: The Hunger Games. For the few who do not know the plot of the Hunger Games, a girl and boy from an underdeveloped faction of a dystopian society are sent into an arena to fight to the death against 22 other youths from different factions of the society. Sound familiar? That is because finals week is most certainly a fight to the end, everything we worked for over the semester leads up to this one week. READ MORE

Garnier Haircare Giveaway

By Maryland Contributor
December 14, 2013 - 4:52pm

The Collegiettes of HC Maryland would like to thank Garnier for sending us shampoo and conditioner samples.  They make our hair smell fresh and us feel fabulous. Garnier’s Volume Extend Shampoo and Conditioner gives us all day fullness for all day beautiful hair. The ultra- light cleansing hair care formula, with natural fruit fibers, papaya and cucumber extracts, strengthens and thickens hair. Volume is extended for long- lasting fullness and body. READ MORE

HC Maryland's Ultimate Gift Guide of 2013

By Caroline L. Smith
December 13, 2013 - 10:30am

It’s that time of the year again to stalk up on gifts for the holiday season. Check out this list for what you friends and family really want this year. Gifts for Her (Friend, Mother, etc) Over $100 READ MORE

Five Detox Water Drinks to Keep Off the Holiday Pounds

By Kathlyn Carney
December 12, 2013 - 12:00pm

Do you love Christmas cookies, eggnog, Starbucks’ holiday drinks, candy canes, and the other treats you are about to enjoy over winter break? If you do, and you are worried about gaining unwanted pounds, there is a solution for you. The solution is detox water beverages! Detox water drinks keep your metabolism running quickly and keep your body clean of toxins. Detox water drinks have been known to either keep a few pounds off of women or actually help them lose weight. They also help you maintain a flat belly so you can still look perfect in your holiday dresses, while indulging in some of you favorite foods! READ MORE