Party Animals Take Over UMD

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Incase any of you’ve been living under a rock, The University of Maryland’s football team was welcomed into the Big10 the beginning of this year. There were a lot of mixed feelings about how the season would play out from students, alumni, and people who only go for the crab pretzels- like me.

Some thought we were going to get our butts kicked, and others, well… felt the same.

Fortunately, everyone loves a good underdog story and the season has progressed better than anyone imagined… seriously, nobody imagined it.  With a record of 6 and 3 and taking 3rd place in the Big10 East Division, this ‘underdog story’ was in need of celebration. 

The overwhelmingly spirited students of Maryland had their own unique ways of celebrating these wins…

Ducks, goats, and puppies, oh my!

These are just a few of the accessories tailgaters are showing off. Whether it’s some weird kind of separation anxiety from the farm, or a way to get an unreal amount of likes on Instagram, animals are at our tailgates and are here to stay!

Now you’re probably wondering, did Maryland get its very own traveling petting zoo? Nope. Some students just happened to be duck or goat whisperers in their past lives. Being housed both on and off campus, or as honorary fraternity members, these highly photogenic animals are being treated with the utmost care and attention, as any other celebrity pet rightfully deserves.

A day in the life for one of these party animals consists of an abnormal amount of baby talk, butterfly kisses, stalker-like attachment, and animal-napping tendencies by both girls and boys.

So next time you want to celebrate our (hopefully) winning Terps, remember… some overly spirited fan out there probably brought their own real life terrapin, on leash, waiting to be photographed and hash-tagged. 

Sophomore Communication major with a passion for beads and Diet Coke.