The Most Annoying Move-In Day Struggles and How to Fix Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Summer has quickly come to an end, but that means one thing  – it’s time to pack up and move (back) in to college! Whether it’s your freshman year and you are scouring Pinterest for dorm decoration ideas, or you are an upperclassman with a new apartment, move-in day can be stressful for everyone! Here are some move-in day struggles that everyone faces (take it from me, I’m basically a move-in expert at this point), and how to fix them! Move-in day is memorable for both you and the family you have recruited to help you, and is likely a time for goodbyes…so make sure your day runs smoothly!

The Struggle: A chaotic arrival OR not being able to find your dorm hall.

The Fix: Campus is a zoo on move-in day, especially the parking lots. Be sure to arrive early–if you are from out of state, try arriving the night before if possible (Bonus perk: if you arrive before your roommate, you’ll have first dibs on a bed and closet!). Your move-in help isn’t that helpful when they are tired from driving or late night packing, and you are more frazzled and you won’t enjoy the moment! Get a good night’s sleep, print out any parking passes the night before, and have the GPS ready to go.

The struggle: Everyone either standing around doing nothing OR everyone trying to take over.

The fix: Have a plan. Assign everyone a job the night before move-in day. When I moved in to my dorm (and this year, apartment!), I usually bring my mom and brother along. My brother (by default) is in charge of the heavy lifting. He was responsible for packing up the car, and unloading the heavy items (like my mini-fridge, my big containers, etc).  My mom, on the other hand, made my bed as soon as we got there and did some decorating (after I told her where I wanted everything). That way, I could organize my clothes, books, and other personal items in a way that I knew where everything was. So, use your move-in crew’s skills and abilities to their full advantage. It makes move-in a breeze!

The Struggle: You forgot som​ething important!

The Fix: Make a list of everything you need to pack and bring with you the week before you move-in. The closer you get to move-in day, the more excited you are and the more clouded your judgment becomes. Ask older friends or siblings what things were at the top of their move-in checklist, or look up some sample ones online. Having a starting point or guide will help make sure you covered all of the bases before you get overwhelmed. But if you realize you’ve forgotten something once you get to your dorm, don’t panic! There is definitely a store, like a Target, nearby that will have what you need.

The Struggle: You​r dorm does not meet your Pinterest dreams.

The Fix: Don’t get your heart set on a particular look –often your freshman dorm does not look like the ones you’ve been Pinning all summer long. So have some decorations ready to be put up on your walls (and have lots of sticky tack ready!), but don’t be sad when it doesn’t look exactly like how you envisioned it. Chances are, you’ll get cool posters and signs at a campus sale or a sporting event, and you’ll have a million new memories to preserve in time with pictures as the semester progresses.

The Struggle: Your parents or move-in helpers are overstaying their welcome.

The Fix: It’s normal to want alone time to get your room situated, bond with your roommate, and check out the dorm without your family hovering. After all, it’s college – it’s all about being independent. BUT, don’t forget that this is a big moment for Mom and Dad, and your other family members. They are having to say goodbye to you and have to go home without you! Before you actually arrive on move-in day, suggest that you go out to lunch after you are initially moved in, and say your goodbyes then. It’ll be a nice way to end the experience, and you will still have the rest of the day to get settled on your own!

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.