On a More Serious Note- Binge Drinking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

“Shots, shots, shots, shots, shots, shots, shots, shots, shots, shots, shots, shots, shots, shots, shots, shots… EVERYBODY!” -LMFAO ft. Lil Jon

As fall is upon us— and so are tailgates, homecoming week, and formals— this pump up song can be heard at almost any party on campus.

While songs like “Shots” by LMFAO and “Turn Down For What” by DJ Snake are great party anthems, the songs’ themes are being taken too literally by college students.

I think this is the perfect time for a quick reminder about the more serious side of partying: the perils that come along with binge drinking.

While binge drinking is not a new concept among college students, our generation has definitely taken to the notion. Yes, it is completely fine (and normal) to go to parties and get drunk, but blacking out every night of the week is NOT OKAY.

Not only are you putting yourself in a vulnerable position when you can’t remember what you did the night before, but the human body is not equipped to handle that much alcohol.

According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, “about four out of five college students drink alcohol” and “about half of college students who drink, also consume alcohol through binge drinking.”

You may be thinking to yourself, “Whatever! I have a couple crazy nights here and there. It’s really not a big deal.”

Well, guess what? YOU ARE NOT INVINCIBLE.

That one night where you went a little too hard may be one night too many. No one actually thinks about the consequences that result from binge drinking, like injury, assault, sexual abuse, and yes— death.

“1,825 college students between the ages of 18 and 24 die each year from alcohol-related unintentional injuries,” according to NIAAA’s website.

One of the most recent examples of fatalities caused by binge drinking occurred at Rutgers University about two weeks ago. Sophomore Caitlyn Kovacs died after passing out at a fraternity house.

According to the student-run paper, The Daily Targum, Caitlyn attended a “small gathering” at the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity house on campus. Her friends drove her to the hospital around 3 a.m. when she “appeared to be in distress.” She was pronounced dead shortly after.

Although the autopsy report has not been released yet, police suspect the death to have been alcohol-related.

This story is devastating, but why am I not completely shocked when I hear it? Maybe because it has happened too many times. Maybe because I see it in the movies and on TV. Maybe because our culture has come to accept binge drinking as a right of passage through college.

A 19-year-old’s life was cut short due to a night that was just a little too fun and all I can do is wish that someone had paid a little more attention before it was too late.

However, if you are having a fun night out and you see a friend, or even a stranger, drinking too much, pay attention to these symptoms of alcohol poisoning:

• Mental confusion, stupor, coma, or person cannot be roused.

• Vomiting.

• Seizures.

• Slow breathing (fewer than eight breaths per minute).

• Irregular breathing (10 seconds or more between breaths).

• Hypothermia (low body temperature), bluish skin color, paleness.

Yeah I know, no one likes to be the annoying one who takes the beer out of a friend’s hand when they’ve had too much to drink, but you could be the reason your friend wakes up tomorrow. So remember, it’s worth it.

Have a wonderful night out College Park and don’t forget to drink responsibly!

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.