Micha Powell Sets Her Sights on the Olympics in Rio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Photo via Instagram

Micha Powell, a junior University of Maryland student track and field athlete, balances school work and training to qualify for the 2016 Rio Olympics, all while setting school records and keeping a positive attitude.

Powell, a journalism student from Toronto, Canada, explains that her running experiences are not like most runners. With her father, Michael Powell, holding the long jump world-record and her mother, Rosey Edeh, holding the Canadian 400-meter hurdle record, Micha began running with the goal of qualifying for the Olympics.

Photo via Instagram

During the first two years of high school, Powell was set on playing tennis despite her coaches’ advice. “My coaches told me, ‘Micha, you really rush the net and not in a good way,’” Powell said. “They told me I should try track, but I was just so defiant.”

It wasn’t until she watched the 2012 Olympics that she decided to start her running career. “I saw the runners and thought, ‘I can do that,’” Powell said. “I asked my mom to time me run a 100 and I ran like 13 high, which isn’t bad, but it’s not great either.” After seeing Powell run, she said her mom encouraged her to start running.

Her senior year of high school, Powell ran cross country, but said her finish was her strongest. “I would always come in and pass everyone at the very end,” Powell said. She then moved to sprints and came in fifth at Nationals for the 400 and third for her relay that summer. “It was a really good way to build my confidence and realize, I may be new, but I’m leaving an impact.”

Noelle Anyangwe, Powell’s teammate, said Powell’s positive mindset has made her a blessing on the team. “Being able to train with an athlete as talented as she is has driven the competitive nature of our team,” Anyangwe said. “The athlete that she is today and will become tomorrow is not based solely off her amazing genes. Rather, it is driven by her handwork and determination.”

Photo by Cara Newcomer

Powell said her mom is her biggest inspiration. “She showed me that she can go to the Olympics and still get your degree and raise a child,” the runner said. “So whenever I have my down days, I just think well my mom did this times ten.”

Powell’s goal is to run in three Olympics before she retires, like her mom did during her career. Powell said her goal for the upcoming Olympics is to qualify and at least make it to the semifinals. “Right now I’m third in Canada for the 400, which is a good place to be,” Powell said. The Canadian Olympic team takes the top four runners for their relay.

Photo via Instagram

Powell said she is preparing for the July 7 trials by eating right, staying focused and being organized. “Training for Rio means eating healthy,” Powell said. “I only eat light food and grains, but some days I’ll treat myself with Greek yogurt or something along those lines. It reminds me that it’s okay to indulge sometimes.”

Anyangwe also commented on Powell’s efforts to eat healthy. “She has dedicated her lifestyle to be the best that she can be on and off the track,” Anyangwe said. “Micha is also on top of her game when it comes to sleeping right and fueling her body with the necessary dietary nutrients it needs for her to be the best athlete she can be.”

Photo via Instagram

Powell said her coach, Andrew Valmon, has helped her maintain her energy throughout the season. “My season is a lot longer than others, so he doesn’t tire me out.” Powell said. “But, he works me so I make sure I get that sensation of running a real race.”

Powell made a point to specify that setting the 400 meter indoor school record, breaking the 400 meter program record at the Florida Relays in early April, and helping the relay set a new record, was not part of her plan. “But I think it goes to show that when you don’t put any expectations on yourself and you just run your best and have fun good things happen,” Powell said.