This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

The holidays are coming, which means cookie exchanges, gift-giving, and delicious deserts! These decadent and healthy “low-cal” recipes are simple to make, and will leave you and your friends craving more.

Light and Fluffy Pizzelle Cookies:

Calorie Count: 50 (for one large cookie)

Makes: 2 dozen

*45 min. recipe*

Pizzelle Cookie Photo

Ingredients/Things you’ll need:

• 3 eggs
  • ¾ cups white sugar
  • ½ cup melted butter
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 ¾ cup of flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • Pizzelle Iron
  • Cooking Spray

Directions:

1. Stir the eggs and sugar in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Stir in the melted butter and vanilla. Sift the flour and baking powder. Blend into the batter until smooth.
  2. Heat the pizzelle iron and mist with cooking spray. Put approximately 1 tablespoon of batter into each circle on the iron. Bake for 20 to 40 seconds depending on the iron, or until the iron stops steaming. Remove the cookies from iron; allow them to cool and harden before touching.

*For chocolate pizzelles add ¼ cup of cocoa mixed with the flour and baking powder, ¼ extra sugar and ¼ extra teaspoon of baking powder*

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins (All Natural and Gluten Free):

Calorie Count: 114 calories for 9 mini muffins (per mini muffin)

*25 Minute Recipe*

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffin Picture: http://teamleatherman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/pumpkinmuffin.jpg

Ingredients:

• Cooking Spray
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 cup +1 tablespoon oat flour (you can use regular flour for non-gluten free muffins)
  • 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Then spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
  2. Combine: pumpkin, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, and egg in a bowl.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and oat flour Note: The less stirring the better, this will make the muffins lighter.
  4. Add the dry to the wet mixing until combined.
  5. Add the chocolate chips.
  6. Separate the mixture evenly among the 9 muffin molds in the tray. (You can also add a few chocolate chips).
  7. Bake for 16-18 minutes.
  8. Allow to cool, muffins are better softer than overcooked.

White Chocolate Peppermint Bark:

Calorie Count: 90 calories (per serving)

Makes: 20-30 pieces

*35 Minute Recipe*

Peppermint Bark Photo: http://www.thepinkapronblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/peppermint-bark.jpg

Ingredients:

• 8 oz. white chocolate, chopped
  • 4 candy canes (6 inches long)
  • 2 drops peppermint oil or extract
  • 13×17 inch non-stick cookie sheet or lined with parchment paper

Directions:

1. Melt chocolate in the microwave, heating it for 20 seconds.
  2. Place candy canes in a large locked plastic bag and crush with rolling pin until they have a consistency of crushed ice
  3. Once chocolate is melted, stir in peppermint oil
  4. Stir in all but 2 tablespoons of crushed peppermint pieces and spread the mixture evenly on cookie sheet ¼ inches thick. It is not supposed to fill the sheet completely.
  5. Sprinkle the candy cane over the top
  6. Let it set at room temperature until hardened for 2 hours or refrigerate for 30 minutes. Use your hands to break the chocolate into pieces, creating the bark