I Just Taste Tested Starbucks’ Holiday Drinks So You Don’t Have To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Tis the season for coffee helping me to get in the holiday spirit!

Even before Thanksgiving is over, Starbucks releases its holiday flavors to get us in the spirit of the season. Quite possibly the best part of these new flavors, are the fun holiday designs of the cups at this time. In light of the holiday spirit, I decided to make a coffee run and try Starbucks’ holiday flavors, all of which can be be served hot, iced or blended. Although, I decided to order the flavors served hot since the weather has been chilly lately.

1. Peppermint Mocha

This flavor is a classic for the holiday season and my personal favorite. The mixture of slightly bitter cocoa and peppermint is refreshing. If you are in to peppermint patties or thin mint girl scout cookies, this flavor will surely be a hit with you. My favorite part of the drink was the dark chocolate curls on the top. Although this flavor is definitely my favorite, I do prefer it iced or blended.

2. Caramel Brulée Latte

This drink is also a reoccurring holiday flavor at Starbucks. I love caramel, so I was super excited to try this drink. However, I was worried that it would be a little overwhelming. I ended up enjoying the drink, thankfully. It was not too sweet, and the flavor of coffee still remained even with the excess amount of caramel. My only criticism is that there is no way I would ever be able to tell the difference between this flavor and regular old caramel. They are extremely similar, so I’m not really sure where the “brulée” came in.

3. Toasted White Chocolate Mocha

I was a little nervous to try this one. I was not exactly sure how white chocolate and mocha would blend together. However, I ended up really loving it. I am not normally a fan of super sweet coffee, but the caramelized white chocolate was delicious. Since I was taste-testing three drinks, I only wanted to drink a little of each, but I could not put this one down. It had a sort of marshmallow flavor mixed with the mocha, and they really complimented each other.

Overall, although I thoroughly enjoyed all of the featured holiday flavors, I have to choose peppermint mocha as my favorite. The love I have for chocolate and mint mixed together just cannot be outweighed by the other flavors.

Next time you go on a coffee run, try something new! You never know, you may find a new holiday favorite.

Megan Sayles

Maryland '21

Megan is a sophomore at UMD. She is a multi-platform journalism major, and is hoping to pursue social media managing in that field. Meg loves playing piano and boating. Her favorite quote is, "You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy," by C. JoyBell C.
Maryam Pitt

Maryland '18

.