How To Take Care Of Yourself During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Got a week where you have three exams, two quizzes and two papers? Sounds like a miserable week in college where you will hide your face in text books all week while you throw back 10 caramel macchiatos. However, it doesn’t have to be like this! You don’t have to wait for these horrible weeks to end to enjoy your life! The wonderful women at Her Campus have compiled a list of little ways to treat yo self every day, even during midterms and finals.

1. When you’re out studying, treat yourself with your favorite sugary Starbucks drink.

Okay, don’t get us wrong, we aren’t telling you to do this every day or eat unhealthily all the time, but that doesn’t mean you can’t treat yourself on a regular basis! “Everything in moderation” is key- or so that’s what my mom used to tell me when i would eat the whole box of mac and cheese. This is a great way to get your caffeine fix while also enjoying a nice tasting drink! It takes the edge off the studying- at least a little.

2. Dress Up!

Sometimes you’ll feel more productive, or even just more confident, if you like the outfit you’re wearing and you feel good. It can help you get your day started right, and if all goes wrong with your assignments, at least you look good!

3. Work Out

Working out is a known stress reliever! It can help you get your frustrations out, get your mind off all of your current obligations and be a fun activity. It additionally releases endorphins making you happier and less grumpy when you continue to do your work. On top of all these positives, you can feel great about yourself for getting a workout in!

4. Take a Bath or a Long Hot Shower

Ladies, grab your bath bombs and loofahs! A nice, hot bath or shower is a great way to end any long and stressful day. You can have a concert in the shower singing like Beyonce or just relax in a hot bath. It’s the ultimate stress reliever and only takes about a half hour of your time! This leaves plenty of time to get into the grind of school.

5. Watch your Favorite Show

For me, there is nothing more relaxing and fun to do when i’m procrastinating or rewarding myself for writing my name on the soon-to-be-written paper, than watching TV! The office always makes me forget what an exam is. It’s a great way to laugh, cry or do anything that will take your mind off of school!

So, ladies, follow our suggestions listed here and help yourself during this coming finals week. School can be hard so make sure you take breaks, take breaths and do things for YOU. Also, don’t forget to be nice to others because this is a stressful time for everyone.  A little positivity can go a long way. Good luck ladies!

Sarah Smith is a junior at the University of Michigan, Class of 2012, majoring in Communication Studies and Political Science. She is the Editor-in-Chief of The Forum, Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, and the secretary of Michigan's chapter of Ed2010. Sarah is also an active member of Alpha Delta Pi Sorority, and she currently serves Michigan's Panhellenic Association as the Vice President of Public Relations.  A native of Sterling Heights, MI, she has been a Michigan fan since birth and loves spending Saturday mornings cheering on her Wolverines. Some of her favorite things include The Office, Audrey Hepburn, women's magazines, and microwave popcorn - preferably with lots of butter and salt!