How to Make Your College Dorm Feel Like Your Dream Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

It is more desirable to sit in the dark than suffer from the harsh burn of those florescent lights in a South Campus Commons apartment. Between the stark white walls, the brown couches and whatever color you can call the carpet, Commons apartments leave a lot to be desired. Your College Park digs will probably never look like a swanky New York City loft, but here are a few ways to make it a little homier.

For the Living Room:

1. Find an area rug.

An area rug in the middle of your living room will automatically add warmth to the room. It not only blocks a portion of the hideous carpet, but it also adds another texture into the room, and gives you something soft to walk on.

2. Invest in mirrors.

Mirrors make the room feel bigger. Having a few small-mirrored squares, or a long horizontal mirror on the wall, will draw the eye to something other than the College Park view.

3. Grab some curtains.

Adding a pop of color to the room with vibrant curtains is a great way to decorate. Since you cannot paint or make holes in the wall, it is hard to escape the all-white interior. But this makes your palette more colorful.

For the Bathroom:

1. Don’t forget about shower curtains.

Shower curtains come in beautiful designs and can be relatively inexpensive. At your local Home Goods, you can find cute curtains by designers like Tahari and Cynthia Rowley.

2. Remember, bathrooms need rugs, too.  

Bath mats in front of your sink and shower are not only functional, but also a great way to add color. Having something nice and fluffy to step on after you get out of the shower doesn’t suck either.

For the Bedroom:

1. Make a headboard.

A headboard automatically makes your bead the centerpiece of the room. Your four-door dresser won’t really be making a statement and there is no room for added furniture, so the bed is your only option for a focal point. There are a million pins on Pinterest citing easy ways to make a headboard. Just pick your favorite fabric, some ply wood and a staple gun. Your room will be transformed in no time.

2. Frame your wall art.

Framed art work adds a mature feel to the space and another opportunity to dress up the bland walls. You can either find framed prints you like or buy. jpgs cheap from sites like Etsy, get them printed, buy the matting for frames and attach them using command strips.

3. Bring in floor lamps.

If you have had the pleasure of visiting a Commons apartment, then you know that the large circular orbs attached to the ceiling (which come with their own musical hum) are actually residents’ only source for light. Never. Turn. Them. On. Instead, invest in a floor lamp to provide more ambient lighting.

Hey! My name is Jenna and I am a junior journalism major and art history minor at the University of Maryland. I am from New Jersey and love all things fashion and beauty. Find out more about me and see more of my writing on my blog http://jennariquelle.wordpress.com/