This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

For many, Thanksgiving is a time for family; a time to enjoy each other’s company and share funny stories. However, for many college students, this is not always the case. Many of us know  when Thanksgiving rolls around, we can count on our annoying extended relatives to be in our faces about college and our future career goals.

As an English major, I am especially sick of hearing, “Oh so you’re going to be a teacher?” from every single one of my relatives. My first thought after hearing this is always the same: “No, I do not plan on becoming a teacher and I really just want to be left alone.” College is hard enough as it is. Planning out your future is extremely stressful and sometimes it seems insane to attempt to choose just one thing you supposedly want to spend the rest of your life doing. If you are one of those college students who has it all together, knows exactly what their future plans are and is proud to share this information with all of their relatives, then don’t bother reading this article.

However, if you feel overwhelmed by the presence of your relatives and you need some ideas on how to avoid them, continue reading. I have compiled a short but effective list below, on how to ditch your family this Thanksgiving.

1. Say you have a migraine.

The key here is you’re unwell in a way that does not require proof. Plus, middle-aged and older people seem to get a lot of migraines so theoretically, they should be sympathetic to this ailment.

2. Claim you have to study for a big exam.

Your family cares about your education. This is pretty much the only thing they ever ask you about, so this is the perfect excuse. Act like you’ve been working really hard in one class but you still have a ton of studying to do. Your family will understand you can’t spend time with them because it affects your education.

3. Say you have to start your Black Friday shopping early.

Tell your family you need to get a head start on the deals so you can buy Christmas presents for them. As soon as you mention you’re actually shopping for them, they’ll most likely back off.

4. Make up a random interview for an internship opportunity.

This excuse goes back to how invested your family is in your education. They love a good internship opportunity because internships help you get jobs, which help you get rich and then one day you can take care of your loving family. At least that’s the way they see it. You won’t even have to stress how important this “opportunity” is because your family will easily let you off the hook for Thanksgiving.

5. Tell your family you have to pick up your friend from the airport.

If you don’t pick your friend up from the airport, no one will and they will miss out on Thanksgiving with their own family. You’re obviously the hero in this situation. What can your family really say in protest?

6. Claim you have to get your guitar fixed so you can perform a song for them.

Tell your family you have prepared a lovely song for them in order to celebrate the holiday season but you need to get your guitar repaired ASAP or you won’t be able to perform. This will get you out of the house and in no time, your family will forget you were ever even there.