Get Motivated to Get Back in Shape

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

So we’ve been back to school for about three weeks now and the thrill of the new semester has begun to wear off… what now?

I think back to winter break and realize how it was such a beautiful thing. As a reward for getting through fall semester, I gave myself full permission to do how much (but usually how little) I wanted. This included, but was not limited to… eating, sleeping, watching Netflix, eating, sleeping, and watching Netflix again.

I know that’s a long list of really engaging activities, but did you notice how I left something out? Oh yeah, I completely forgot/REFUSED to work out. I was on vacation for Pete’s sake!

But now I am back in reality and am really struggling to find motivation to get my lazy butt to the gym. 

My first thought is…

And that if I actually use the treadmill I will look like this…

But because getting back into a routine of going to the gym can be scary and overwhelming, I brainstormed a list of motivational ideas!

Motivation #1: You promised

New Year’s resolutions are still a thing people! If you promised yourself you would start going to the gym on a regular basis, or shed those extra five pounds from Christmas, don’t forget about them now. Everyone sticks with his or her resolutions until right about now, so find the strength and power through. According to the Huffington Post, it takes about 66 days to form a new habit. So, if you started going to the gym every day since New Years, you’re almost there! If not, get started!

Motivation #2: Spring Break

or

Second semester is a funny thing. You feel like you’re just getting back into classes and then BOOM, it’s spring break already! While it’s exciting to imagine lying on the beach some place tropical for an entire week, it also freaks me out. You’re telling me I need to look good in a bikini in the middle of March?! *Cue motivation*… Every time you hit the gym, look at a picture on your phone of where you’ll be for spring break. It’ll give you that extra little push for rock hard abs. It also helps if you make a workout schedule. Let’s say your vacation is in four weeks from now. Put a little plan together because it becomes much easier when you know the end date and can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Motivation #3: You need to

How many times did you go out and hard-core drink while you were at home over break living in your parents’ house? Yeah probably not as many times as at school… The more alcohol and calories you consume, the more you need to work out. Unfortunately, you can’t have it all and not work for it. But, the more you work out, the healthier you’ll get, and the better you will feel when you go out at night. Working out gives you more energy too! But, the best reward: a rockin’ bod that you’ll want to show off to everyone.

Moral of the story: GO WORK OUT! I know it’s hard and takes a lot of effort to pause Netflix, get out of bed, and walk to the gym, but you will be so much happier when you feel healthy and look your best.