The Freshman 15: How This Girl is Taking CHAARG to Avoid It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Freshman business major Erika Sowers was physically active in high school and took great pride in the sports she played. She was a setter for her school volleyball team and played soccer for several years as well.

However, in this new chapter of her life, she’s had to make adjustments. Like many college freshmen who are continually reminded of dreaded, potential “weight gain,” she decided it was important to commit to and maintain a healthy lifestyle when she came to UMD. It was when Sowers discovered CHAARG that she knew she had not only found a fitness outlet to be a part of, but a valuable group of girlfriends as well.

Q: What is CHAARG?

A: It’s an organization for a bunch of women who have a similar mindset and want to maintain a health-conscious lifestyle. We come together, hold each other accountable, and have fun. We work out twice a week. Once in smaller groups, and once with the entire group under the direction of a trainer. Our workouts vary from cardio to yoga. It is also encouraged that you additionally work out independently other days of the week. We also just casually hang out sometimes or host social gatherings, it feels like a sisterhood in a way.

Q: How did you get involved?

A: CHAARG did a great job publicizing and recruiting across campus. I emailed for more information after seeing a poster and attended a meet and greet. It was an awesome atmosphere and I felt like I was a part of a community immediately.

Q: We know that working out is essential in combating weight gain, but how about eating right? What measures do you take to maintain a balanced diet?

A: I always try to get some sort of fruit or vegetable and protein in each meal. I feel like it is super easy to put whatever you want on your plate since it is buffet-style in the dining halls, so I am always aware of portion control. I typically have a sweet tooth, so I try to practice self-control and I use my best judgment…the occasional treat is okay!

Q: What is something new or valuable CHAARG has taught you so far?

A: CHAARG has introduced me to new workouts that I don’t think I would have tried on my own, such as pilates. It’s always beneficial to try new things and push the limits of your comfort zone…you learn new things about who you are in return.

Q: Any advice for those who want to get started with their fitness journey but may be hesitant?

A: Your worst critic is yourself. Everybody is caring about their own appearance and boosting their own confidence, so don’t worry about being judged. You can start off small and work your way up when it comes to your gym routine. Your hard work will lead you to milestones eventually, and you will be able to celebrate both large and small successes.

If you want to get involved with CHAARG or have any questions, e-mail umdchaarg@gmail.com for more information.

Hey, everybody! My name is Jenna Pierson and I am a freshman Journalism Major at the University of Maryland, College Park. I am from Parkersburg, WV, which is a medium-sized town on the Ohio River. I love all things beauty, fashion, and nutrition/fitness. Some of my hobbies include leisurely reading, working out, participating in theatrical productions and traveling. Also, I may or may not love my dogs more than I love most humans. I also love to spend time with my friends, family, and long-term boyfriend. I am so happy to be a Her Campus Contributor!