Football Sunday Favorites as Told by “Tasty” Gifs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

If you like watching football, and you also like food, this article is for you. Every college student is familiar with Buzzfeed’s “Tasty” videos. They take over your Facebook feed and freeze time as you watch gooey cheese melt and a buttery spread dissolve over the stove.

After watching numerous “Tasty” videos with my roommates, we decided to challenge ourselves and follow a different video recipe for each Sunday football game. Welcome to the digital age of cooking. Here’s a compilation of some of our football Sunday favorites. From cheesy to spicy, these appetizers will be sure to turn your day into a feast, and your living room into the newest viewing spot.

1. Pizza Dip

Be warned, this dish is super addicting. Cheese, cheese and more cheese – with a little sauce and pepperoni on the side. While the video uses garlic bread as a dipper, we discovered that our personal favorite dipper was Tostitos Scoops to maximize the amount of flavor in just one bite. We also added some Italian seasonings for an extra pop and would highly recommend.

Total Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Cook Time: 20 minutes

Roommate Rating: 9

2. Garlic Bread Meatball Sliders

Warm comfort food to make your game day better, this recipe is more difficult and requires more prep than the pizza dip, but it’s worth it for these mouthwatering garlic bites. We have no complaints, so skip lunch and go for these. The filling meatballs are sure to meet your expectations and are perfect for feeding a crowd.

Total Prep Time: 15 Minutes

Total Cook Time: 25 Minutes

Roommate Rating: 10

3. Loaded Sweet Potato Skins

Grab a few dipping sauces along with some sour cream and you’re ready to go with these quick and easy sweet potato skins. You’ve probably had baked potato skins – especially if you’ve spent too much time at Bentleys on a snow day or after a game, but using sweet potatoes as a change adds extra flavor and takes it up a notch from the classic appetizer.

Total Prep Time: 10 Minutes

Total Cook Time: 10 Minutes

Roommate Rating: 8

4. Cheeseburger Onion Rings

This was definitely a favorite among all of our guy friends. But we weren’t so wild about this recipe because we found it a little too difficult. If you do a lot of cooking, then these cheeseburger onion rings should be no problem for you. If you’re more of an amateur chef (like myself), you may want to start with one of the dips or more simple recipes. Our guests’ fried favorite was also great with an assortment of dipping sauces.

Total Prep Time: 20 Minutes

Total Cook Time: 20 Minutes

Roommate Rating: 6

5. Honey Barbecue Chicken Wings

This crowd pleaser has a delicious tangy twist that made everyone rave about our dish. We found that those who weren’t barbecue fans still had a soft spot for these honey barbecue chicken wings. Similar to the cheeseburger onion rings, this dish takes a little longer; so just make sure you set aside a little more time. We also had a few issues with the spices burning in the oven. So, if I were to make this again, I would make sure to season the chicken itself, rather than the flour.

Total Prep Time: 10 Minutes

Total Cook Time: 35 Minutes

Roommate Rating: 7

6. Homemade Popcorn Shrimp

It’s hard to go wrong with popcorn shrimp. But I have to admit that I couldn’t tell a big difference between these and the store bought version. If you’re looking to cook, these are a delicious option, but if you’re looking for convenience, I would just make the extra trip to the grocery store.

Total Prep Time: 10

Total Cook Time: 15

Roommate Rating: 6

7. Pigs in a Pretzel Blanket

This classic appetizer is always a favorite. We made it our own by wrapping the hot dogs in Pillsbury crescent rolls the second time we tried the recipe, but the pretzel crust definitely wins. We also experimented with our dipping sauces from the potato skins. Although, we came to a mutual agreement that the melted cheese was best for dipping the pigs in a blanket.

Total Prep Time: 5

Total Cook Time: 15

Roommate Rating: 8