First Annual Condom Couture Fashion Show a Huge Hit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Image courtesy of Alicia McElhaney

A sexy night should always include condoms, according to Bedsider representative and senior behavioral community health major Connor Davies.

So what could be sexier than a night filled with dresses, swimsuits, and costumes made from condoms?

On December 5, University of Maryland students put a sexy spin on fashion at the first ever Condom Couture fashion show to raise awareness for World AIDS Day. The event was put on by student groups SHARE (Sexual Health And Reproductive Education), Bedsider UMD and Theta Pi Sigma.

“The event started in SHARE. We wanted to do something other than a health fair to raise awareness for World AIDS day,” Davies said.

She added that in hopes of raising funds for the event, she applied for a grant through Bedsider. The University of Maryland branch of Bedsider won the grant, and in order to use the money, had to put together an event before the end of the semester.

Davies was able to pull it off in just three weeks with the help of SHARE and Theta Pi Sigma, student organizations focused on promoting sexual health of all students.

Image courtesy of Alicia McElhaney

“The event was student-run, student-driven and student-funded,” she said.

In three weeks, the organizations pasted campus with flyers and used social media to gain interest.

So what exactly goes on at a condom fashion show?

Well for one, a lot of education.

“One of the biggest things we’re trying to do is de-stigmatize people’s condoms,” senior public health major Angelica Rego said.

Davies agreed.

“If we get used to handling them, wearing them is no longer scary,” she said.

Freshman journalism major Maggie Gottlieb understood the message of evening. “Sexual health is often something that swept under the rug, so I think using an entertainment outlet to express the importance of sexual health and campus resources is a really great way to go about things,” she said.

Image courtesy of James Levin/ The Diamondback 

The event wasn’t just focused on learning – a lot of fun was involved too.

Student groups including Satanic Mechanics, UMD Feminists, Club Swim, Sigma Nu Fraternity, L-Town 246 and CHOICES Peer Educators designed looks for the event.

“I liked seeing how different organizations with different focuses, used the materials to make such different outfits,” said attendee sophomore community health major Jacqueline Betro. “My favorite was the Satanic Mechanics’ look because the bodice was made with unopened condoms and had water filled condoms on the skirt.”

Satanic Mechanics’ design came in second place with the Lady Gaga-esque bubble boa and glamorous gown inspired by a Rocky Horror Show Costume, while L-Town 246 (a group of roommates) came in first place with their gladiator style design.

“We thought our friend Matt would work it, so we needed to make a male design. A suit or pants would be really basic for a guy, so we decided to make him a warrior who fights against AIDS,” senior neurobiology and physiology major Emily Leonard, a part of L-Town 246, said.

Image courtesy of Sung-Min Kim/The Diamondback

On top of the fashion featured, there was food the student groups purchased from Stamp, as well as giveaways and prizes.

“Hopefully this is the beginning of an annual thing,” Rego said.

Senior Family Science major  and a member of SHARE Anna Stewart agreed.

“I think it is going to be twice as big next year, once people see it in all its glory,” she said.

*Cover Photo: courtesy of James Levin/ The Diamondback 

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.