Find the Perfect Activity to Get Involved With This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

College is all about reaching out of your comfort zone and trying new things. After all, college itself is a completely new experience. As a freshman, it can be hard for you to try to find where you belong among your peers. You may not know anyone or maybe you do— but now you want to branch out. Maybe you want to continue an activity you participated in during high school, or maybe there is something you have always been itching to try. Well, now is the perfect time to get started in finding the perfect extra-curricular activity to get involved with. Follow these tips to help you find just that:

1.Pay attention: Clubs, sports teams, Greek life, and other activities are always trying to recruit new members at the beginning of each semester. Look for meeting dates and times often written in chalk in the sidewalk, on posters, sent as an e-mail, or people walking around giving out information. Likely something will catch your eye!

2.Attend school-run networking events: Check out functions like the First Look Fair at UMD, which is designed to help you explore the different activity options available to you. Any type of club or activity present on campus will have a booth set up, ready to give you information about their organization. It’s a great way to get a feel for what is offered on campus and what their vibe is like.

3.Try something completely out of your box: Are you really bad at singing? There is club for that. Do you want to play basketball but never picked up a ball before? Try a club or intramural team. Many activities are purely for having fun and are not based on talent or skill. So do something just to have fun! Try something that you have always wanted to try, but were too scared. Chances are you won’t be the only one trying something for the first time. When I started rowing club crew, there were close to 15 other girls who were brand new to the sport, too, and now those fellow newbies are some of my best friends! It doesn’t hurt to try something—you’ll regret it later if you don’t. You’ll likely make a lot of friends who are stepping out of their comfort zones for the first time just like you!

4.Build multiple friend-groups: It can be easy to stick to your friends from high school that go to the same college as you, or your roommate and floor mates. But don’t just settle for one group of friends. Get involved in something completely different from the friends you already have. Building a big network of friends and having a variety of activities with differing interests is a sure ticket to having fun and finding our niche. Try to meet as many people as you can!

5.Start your own club: If you find that nothing offered on your campus is quite meeting your needs or fulfilling your interests, consider starting your own organization! Other people on campus will almost definitely be interested in the same thing you are! Plus, it’s a great resume builder!

6. Go to as many things as you can: Attending school events like football games or concerts is a sure way to feel pride in your school. Being around your peers that ooze school spirit might inspire you to get even more involved in your school. You only have four years to make the most out of college, so embrace every moment! Events like plays, performances, lectures, or exercise classes on campus are often offered at a discounted price (or even better –free!) for students and you may just meet people who share your interests.

Don’t forget that there are thousands of students who are in your shoes or who were a few semesters ago, so don’t be afraid to jump right in and try new things! Enjoy every moment of your semester and good luck! 

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.