Expectations vs. Realities of a New Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Expectation:  This is it! This is going to be MY semester!

Reality: Is it too late to get a college refund?

Expectation: I’m totally going to hit the ERC every day, and even go to some Body Pump classes!

Reality: Where is the Dairy relocated again? (Stamp Student Union, btw!)

Expectation: I’m going to have the cutest dorm room ever –straight out of Pinterest!

Reality: It kind of looks like a mash-up of Target decorations, Maryland flags, and scattered clothes. Do you think Krazy Glue will keep my posters up on these walls?!

Expectation:  Look at me professors! I’m a freshly organized student, who comes to all of the office hours, and loves to participate in class!

Reality: It’s 2 a.m., I need coffee, and I swear I had another week to write this paper. (Time to go rub Testudo’s nose)

Expectation: I’m going to look so cute and collected at Football games, and other UMD events!

Reality: May or may not have crossed the line of wearing TOO much Maryland flag.

(But then you realize…)

Expectation: Time to finally join some new clubs this semester and broaden my horizons!

Reality: Wait, what do you mean there is no Netflix Appreciation Club?

Expectation: I will resist French fries and eat healthy from now on, I will.

Reality: 251, anyone??

Expectation: College = Freedom, no annoying siblings, and no nagging parents!!

Reality: “Hey mom, I’m coming home next weekend. Can you make me my favorite dinner and do my laundry?”

But hey, whatever year you are and whatever you choose to do, college is AMAZING.  Cherish your year! 

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.