The Do’s and Don’ts of a Summer Break- Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Disclaimer: It is nearly impossible to know how to fall out of love with someone. Maybe it is true when they say that time heals all wounds. But having recently gone through a break-up myself I have complied a list of do’s and don’ts to fill the time you may spend getting over someone who clearly doesn’t deserve you.

DO take your mind off the situation by reading a non-fiction book about awesome independent women. My personal recommendation is funny girl Mindy Kaling’s book Is Everybody Hanging Out Without Me (And Other Concerns). I found this book to be a total distraction and had me laughing out loud at every chapter. Kaling’s honest look at dating, friendships and trying to make it in the TV business is as refreshing as it is hilarious. By the end of the book you will be asking why you ever needed a boyfriend to begin with.

DON’T watch the usual slew of summer romantic comedies that look so enticing on your ABC Family and Lifetime. I made the mistake of watching The Notebook one afternoon post-break up and spent the rest of my day in a spiraling state of depression. I found myself yelling at the television and cursing out Ryan Gosling. Him and I now have an awkward relationship, and I would hate for any other girls to be on bad terms with the sexiest man alive.

DO make a kick ass play list that makes you want to kick your exes ass. I have created a sample play list consisting of songs from Taylor Swift to the Queen Bey and many influential female artists in between. A playlist will certainly inspire you that moving on is the best option. After listening to We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together on repeat, I started to believe it.

DON’T do something you will regret, like actually kicking your exes ass. In the time after going through a break-up the emotions that run through us can vary to a crazy extent that may actually make us crazy. I recommend staying away from your phone for as long as possible and giving yourself a week before you are allowed to take any action against your ex. If you’re thinking of taking action against your ex, make sure it is pre-meditated and not something done through your eyes of wrath.

DO realize that the reason you broke up is probably still there and that even if you got back together your problems will not immediately go away. After you have given yourself the proper amount of time to grieve, you may be able to try and see the light and the neon sign that had always been there telling you it was time to break up but you skillfully avoided it. Realize that you are better for going through this experience that you, like every other person who has gone through a break-up will be just fine.  Every girl has to go through this sometime in her life.  You can easily find others to commiserate with!

If you still think that all that stuff is bull, then go ahead and key the jerks car. 

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.