DIY guide to costumes: How to get creative with your look this Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Boxed wine: Every girl loves her wine-especially boxed wine! Why not show your appreciation through a Halloween costume?

1. Choose a shirt close to the color of your favorite wine

2. Print out the label of your favorite box wine on a piece of paper or write it

3. Choose what kind of bottoms you want to wear (pencil skirt, leggings, jeans, it’s up to you girl!)

4. Take clear plastic wrap and wrap it around your body as if you’re creating a peplum top

5. Go out and showcase your love for your favorite boxed wine

Kim Kardashian:Want to be a super powerful pop culture icon? After marrying Kanye West, having her baby North and creating an empire for herself, Kim truly does it all! Lets face it, when hasn’t Kim been in the news this year?How to:Find a pair of super sleek jeans particularly black and high-waisted. She also goes all out for that midi-skirt look too!

1.  Dig through your closet or hit up the nearest Forever21 for a super chic top without breaking the bank.
  2. Style your hair with loose beach waves, straight and sleek, or slicked back and up in a high ponytail. All three are Kim’s classic hairstyles.

3. When applying your makeup don’t be scared to give yourself a dramatic smoky eye and really accentuate your cheekbones with some bronzer. False lashes are also an option if you’re willing to go all out for this look.

4. Choose a pair of your favorite going out shoes.

5. OPTIONAL: if you’re not as gifted as Kim in the rear, stuffing your behind with a small pillow is always an option to add to the look.

6. Strut out of the house like you own the world because now you’re kardashianified and all those ladies know how to work!

Katniss Everdeen: Dressing up, as your favorite tribute from District 12 is a way to make a statement. Katniss is a bold and independent woman! Being the “girl on fire” for Halloween is a way to showcase your confidence and display your excitement for the 3rd installment of the Trilogy.

1. Get a pair of loose khaki colored or light green pants

2. Pick out your favorite black t-shirt, tank, or cami from your closet

3. Get a cheap chic leather jacket from Forever21 or a black utility jacket, if you do not already own one or cannot borrow one from a friend

4. Give your hair that iconic messy braided look Katniss pulls off so well

5. Lace up your favorite pair of combat boots

6. Leave the house looking just the right combination of tough and sexy with your Katniss costume!

Mermaid: Watching The Little Mermaid growing up didn’t you want to be part of Ariel’s world? We all know living under the sea is impossible, but why not dress up as a mermaid as the next best thing?

1. Buy a cheap nude bra or bandeau.

2. Purchase a shell bra from a costume store near you or order one online. Typically they can be found on sites like amazon for a good deal

3. Bust out the arts and craft supplies! Paint your plastic shells any color you please, give them at least an hour to fully dry afterwards

4. Put the nude bra or bandeau on and mark where you would like to place your sea shells

5. Once you have the desired placing for your sea shells, hot glue them onto your bra or bandeau

6. You’re probably thinking how am I going to walk around with fins on throughout the night? The possibility for bottoms for this costume is endless!

-Scale print leggings are available online (personally I ordered mine from Etsy)

-A long flowing green maxi skirt is always an option giving the illusion of the mermaid silhouette

-Green pencil skirts can also be used as bottoms to this fun and flirty fishy look

1. Give your hair some tousled beach waves to complete the look

2. Slip on a pair of flip-flops, nude flats or heels. Whatever is the most comfortable for you!

3. Begin your Halloween celebration as one of your favorite mythical creatures!

Tina from Bob’s Burgers: If you’ve ever watched Bob’s Burgers there is a good chance you have already fallen in love with Tina. This costume is the perfect combination of weird and fun! Everyone you encounter will get a kick out of your tribute to Tina this Halloween.

1. Get a big light blue t-shirt.

2. Grab a pair of your guy friend’s high rise white socks and browse through your shoes for a pair of sneakers

3. Use either a black skater skirt or pencil skirt depending on what you feel most confident in.

4. Bonus to this look: glasses either prescription ones you already own or a cheap fake pair from the dollar store

5. Walk out of this house as everyone’s favorite cartoon character and have a fun night, as would Tina!

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.