Ditch the Vodka Cranberry: 5 Healthy Alternatives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

They’re cheap, easy, and just taste so good, and for that reason vodka cranberries have become a staple in a college girl’s evening escapades. But hidden within the pretty pink cranberry juice is an overload of sugar; 31 grams per cup to be exact.

Let’s put that into perspective. Three Chips Ahoy cookies, the equivalent of one serving, have 11 grams of sugar. One serving of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream has about 21 grams of sugar, depending on the flavor. And still less than the sugars count in cranberry juice is one individual package of Oreos, or 6 cookies, with a total of 23 grams.

You may be trying to eat healthier in preparation for summer, but what about drinking? We know alcohol seems impossible to give up, but there are alternatives to the vodka cranberry, so here’s what to drink next time you’re out so you can still enjoy your night.

1. Margarita

With this one, you won’t be getting your restaurant quality, blended glass of paradise, but if you order tequila with club soda and squeeze some fresh lime juice in, you’ll get about 150 calories with the margarita flavors that you crave.

2. Vodka soda

Mixing vodka with club soda and garnishing with lime is another way to still have a fruity drink without all the extra sugar. In fact, club soda does not have any calories, which means no sugar at all, making it the ideal mixer.

3. Rum and diet Coke

You can still have soda as a mixer, but opt for the diet version. Rum and coke is as popular as vodka cranberry, and the diet take on this classic only has about 65 calories!

4. Light beer

If you’re a girl who enjoys beer and just wants to have a drink in her hand, this might be the way to go. Though it still has carbs, it does not have the fake sweeteners often found in cranberry juice and can therefore be a healthy alternative. Just try not to throw back too many because the carbs and calories will add up.

5. Red wine

For nights you just want a drink with a nice meal, skip the sangria and order simple red wine. Red wine is full of antioxidants that can protect against Alzheimer’s, heart disease, and even cancer. Again, try to limit yourself to one glass.

Terp, sophomore journalism major, runner and lover of all things edible!