A Collegiette’s Guide to Fall Television

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Fall has always been my favorite season, largely because of the following things; pumpkin spice lattes, red trees and the return of my favorite television shows. It has been a long summer away from television; I have been consumed with One Tree Hill reruns and other shows that weren’t good enough to make it onto prime time. But alas, here we are again, so close to the return of our favorite shows. Listed below are some of the new shows I plan to be watching this fall, and some that if you haven’t been watching, you really should be.

If you like New Girl then you’ll like… The Mindy Project

With the absence of 30 Rock and Kristin Wiig leaving Saturday Night Live, hilarious women on TV have been on the decline. Luckily, funny girl Mindy Kaling is back for a second season on the Mindy Project to be our best friend and laugh with us about boys, booze and doughnuts. When we left Mindy last season she had gone off with her boyfriend, the adorable Anders Holm, to Haiti for volunteer work. I can only imagine what her life was like when she is more accustomed to the stars in magazines than the ones in the sky.  Mindy returned to Fox September 17, but you can watch Tuesday’s at 9:30 p.m.

If you like The Vampire Diaries then you’ll like… The Originals

Before you get too turned off by the idea of any more vampire shows, let me preface this one by saying that it’s too hot not to watch. The Originals follow the first vampire family back to their origins of New Orleans where the ruthless Nicklaus, (whose accent is almost as hot as his cheek –bones) wants to be king. The Originals is a spin-off of the successful show, the Vampire Diaries. The pilot aired during the Vampire Diaries previous season but its official season is starting Thursday, October 3rd at 9 p.m. on the CW.  

If you like Modern Family then you’ll like, The Michael J. Fox Show

Your mom may remember him as Marty McFly, but he is returning to TV as a slight version of himself in The Michael J. Fox show. The show follows Mike Henry, a New York City man with Parkinson’s as he deals with his family and returning back to work as a news anchor. The show makes light of the disease that plagues Michael J. Fox in real-life and looks like a refreshing distraction from my homework this fall. The show premieres on NBC, Thursday, September 26 at 9:30 p.m.

If you like Revenge then you’ll like, Betrayal

If the show Revenge isn’t enough for you, ABC has answered your prayers because the new show Betrayal looks like it falls into the same suspenseful category. The show starts with a married woman who begins an affair because she is unhappy at home. Entwined in their relationship is a murder trail that could threaten it. The show seems like the perfect amount of lust and law for me and I will be tuning in to ABC, September 29th at 10 p.m.

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.