This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Sifting through pages of this week’s installments of celebrity gossip magazines, it’s not hard to find a star (or five) with enviable looks.  Though their bright smiles and expensive wardrobe often catch the attention of their adoring fans, it’s their near perfect physiques and diet routines that are usually the center of attention. However, as we follow these diet fads, do we really know what we’re doing to our bodies?

Since leaving her post on Hannah Montana in 2011, pop star and actress Miley Cyrus has endured her fair share of criticism for shedding her Disney princess image. Between older boyfriends, tattoos, and bold haircuts, Cyrus has found herself amidst numerous controversies. However, none surpass the recent attention on her shrinking frame. Though it is unknown how much weight she has lost, the starlet’s small waist has caused numerous accusations of eating disorders.  In an effort to take the heat off her looks, Cyrus took to twitter to offer an explanation. 

She tweeted, “For everyone calling me anorexic I have a gluten and lactose allergy. It’s not about weight it’s about health. Gluten is crapppp anyway!”

While she seems to have a good explanation, Cyrus’s claims don’t exactly add up. According to a HuffingtonPost.com article, “It is impossible to be allergic to gluten. Those who have difficulty digesting gluten either have a condition called celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity.”

And while spectators can not know for sure, the article continues to explain, “And while Cyrus may suffer from celiac or non-celiac gluten sensitivity, her svelte physique is most likely the result of regular exercise and careful eating.” 

However, assuming Cyrus is 100% gluten-free, is she being 100% healthy? According to a FoxNews.com article, “Just because a product is billed as ‘gluten-free’ does not mean that it is healthier, however. Gluten-free products can be high in calories, fat, and carbohydrates. Some people who go gluten-free actually gain weight.” 

Though Cyrus may be more outspoken about her diet plans, she is certainly not alone. Scarlett Johansson who can be considered the first lady of curves when it comes to Hollywood (sorry, Kardashian sisters), is not exempt from working for her body. Just this past year for her role in The Avengers, the actress revealed she tried a raw vegan diet to fit into her costumes. 

“But the only reason I was doing that was to fix my previous diet because that was a Paleo diet,” the actress, referring to her previous diet of fish, grass-fed meets, vegetables, fruits, and nuts, said. 

Though the raw vegan diet got her into her Avengers suit, the diet comes with health risks. Since raw-veganism is a plant-based diet that involves no cooking, those using the diet are at risk of missing major vitamins and nutrients in their meals. Those who go head first into the diet and indulge in fruits can also have erosion on their teeth.

In a world where beauty and perfection have become the two things many aspire to attain, celebrity diets have become the focus of many admirers near and far. However, with a closer look into the health risks and benefits of these fads, we can become the ones they look up to. 

Top photo credit: http://girls.geekrevolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Miley-Cyrus-is-Skinny-April-2012-.jpg

Bottom photo credit: http://i2.listal.com/image/2928123/500full.jpg