This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Ambition, determination, and confidence— these are a few of the values that helped Nicole Curtis land consecutive internships. As a junior broadcast journalism major, Curtis already has two internships under her belt and is currently completing her third one this semester.

She attributes her professional success to persistence. Like many college students, Curtis knows that having an internship is invaluable.

“Apply to everything… because you don’t know what you could get,” she said.

Curtis’ constant drive for an internship came to fruition last summer when she began her first college internship at WTOP as a digital media intern.  Prior to getting the internship, she was skeptical about being accepted.  

“I did not think I was going to get it,” Curtis said.

Despite her doubts, WTOP appreciated her talents and gave her the platform she needed to launch her journalistic abilities to new heights.

While at WTOP, Curtis researched stories and wrote articles that were published on the web. Although print journalism is not Curtis’ focus of study, she advanced her writing skills and became a better journalist overall.

Once summer ended and fall semester started, Curtis did not have an internship. She had applied all throughout the summer, but nothing ever came up.

However, things finally came through when she learned that USA TODAY still needed student interns. Without any hesitation, Curtis applied and within less than 24 hours, she was on her way to an interview with the nationally recognized newspaper.

To her advantage, all of the writing experience she gained at WTOP made her more marketable, and she ended up receiving the editorial internship with USA TODAY.

Now Curtis is participating in her third internship at Cox Media Group where she is finally serving as a broadcast intern. As an intern at the media organization, Curtis creates scripts and videos about political news.

Curtis says she has learned so much in such a short amount of time. She also likes that the internship requires her to take initiative.

“You have to put yourself out there for it,” she said. “If you just sit back and don’t do anything, then you’re not going to get anything out of it.”

Broadening her professional accomplishments is a top priority, but Curtis has continuously invested a lot of effort into other activities. During her sophomore year, she was the secretary of the Maryland Association of Black Journalists, a multimedia reporter for The Diamondback and a radio host for an entertainment show known as In the Mix.

Curtis says that she owes her success to ambition. And even when difficult obstacles appear, whether professional or academic, she remains resilient and confident.

When it comes to battling fears and handling setbacks, Curtis says to herself, “I will learn, I will try my best.”

After she graduates, she aspires to be a reporter for a local television station and a future anchor on “Good Morning America.”

While she continues to achieve her goals, Curtis says having a positive attitude will keep her on track.

“Know what you want to do, and set out goals that you’re going to do it. And with that everything falls in place,” she said.