This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Along with the end of sorority recruitment, senior Alex Broseker’s term as PHA President has come to a close. Broseker demonstrated her leadership and passion as she worked with fraternity and sorority chapter presidents to enhance Greek life on campus. Her drive to make a difference has led her to serve her community, work to empower women, and ensure the best experience for the 15 Panhellenic chapters. Broseker now plans to focus on her future and pursue a career in Criminal Justice. Take a look at our interview with this previous PHA President.

How did you become interested in becoming PHA President?

I had previously served as PHA Vice President of Public Relations and after having an amazing year on the board I knew I wanted to continue for a second year. I was originally the Public Relations chair for my sorority and was encouraged to apply for PR for Panhellenic. From there it seemed like a natural evolution to do another year. I wanted to do all I could to help and serve our community

What influenced you to become president?

I cannot even begin to explain the immense pleasure it is to serve a community of dedicated and inspirational women. My main driving force was that I had to give back to the experience that changed my life. I like leadership and am always looking for the next challenge and being on Panhellenic was just that for me. After serving a term on the board and loving it I thought why not apply for president. It was not even a debate to be honest; I always knew I wanted to do the best I could. 

What were some of your roles as PHA President?

I lead an executive board of eight wonderful women and helped facilitate their duties. I was also the link between the Department of Fraternity and Sorority life and the 15 Panhellenic Chapters. I worked very closely with chapter presidents to ensure the best experience for them and their members. Overall, just being a resource for everyone in the community. 

When did you first become involved in Greek life? Had you always wanted to join a sorority?

I was initiated into Zeta Tau Alpha Spring 2012. I originally had no interest what so ever in Greek Life. I did not imagine myself being a sorority woman. I signed up on the last day possible and even after I got a bid I was still not sure I wanted to be in Greek Life. But I stuck around and it changed it me for the better. I then decided to get involved and it lead me here. To say the least it was the best decision I made joining Greek life! 

Why is leadership important to you?

Leadership is important to me because it gives you the chance to make a difference. I cannot imagine going to this University and not taking a leadership role. I am really into personal growth and leadership does just that. I want to continue to grow and taking on different roles is how I have been able to do that. 

What would you say was the most rewarding part of your job?

The best part of my job were the amazing relationships I made. Greek women are so inspirational and getting to know women from all chapters has made my college years very memorable. We have such a mixed bag of women in Greek life and its nice to be able to develop those relationships. Also working these women to improve the Greek experience has been really rewarding. Empowering them and working with them to make the hard choices is really rewarding. 

What else are you involved in on campus?

I am a member of Order of Omega Honor Society and a member of Zeta Tau Alpha Fraternity. I am a member of Omicron Delta Kappa also serve on the executive board for ODK as the events coordinator. 

Do you think this was a successful year for recruitment?

I think any time another woman can find her home in Greek Life it is successful. The fact that almost 700 women have found their home in our Greek system is awesome. I was so impressed by our chapters and how amazing they were through the process. They all worked so hard to find their new sisters and it payed off. I cannot wait to see what amazing things these new members do!

What do your future plans entail?

I am graduating in May and plan on pursuing a career in Criminal Justice. Currently in the application phase for many jobs but definitely trying to remain optimistic about my future!