This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Brittany McCoy, a senior marketing and chain supply double major, is one of UMD’s finest fashionistas! As a leader, entrepreneur, dancer, and student, Brittany is making leaps and bounds into her future more than one step at a time. She has used her passion to build her own fashion line, “Dynasty,” a sophisticated and edgy ready-to-wear collection created for individuals with ambition, drive, and a little attitude.

Fortunately, she didn’t stop there. Brittany is also the founder of UMD’s first fashion organization MasTERPiece as well! She has provided our fellow Terps with a platform for fashion entrepreneurs and other artists interested in pursuing a career in the retail industry. Lucky for us, Brittany was more than happy to share a little more about herself and her accomplishments!

HC: Why did you choose Maryland?

BM:  I live in Prince George’s County, so I actually wanted to go as far away as possible, but it just didn’t work out. I ended up choosing Maryland because it offered me way more opportunities from the start compared to other schools. I’ve grown to love it and I don’t regret my decision.

HC: Three words that would describe yourself:

BM:  Ambitious, visionary, innovative

HC: What made you get into fashion? How does it relate to your ultimate career goal?

BM: Having learned how to sew at age eight, I have always been interested in pursuing my love for fashion. I got my start in the industry in 2008 when I enrolled into the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City. It was there that I began making garments and continued throughout high school.

I was inspired to create my first collection after interning with an amazing local fashion designer my freshmen year of college and launch my brand, “Dynasty By Brittany,” in 2013. After graduation, I hope to pursue the career path of a brand manager until I am able to commit to my brand full-time.

HC: Who are your fashion role models?

BM: Michelle Smith and Michael Costello are some of my favorite designers ever! Their styles are almost identical to mine and a lot of my inspiration comes from their designs. Michelle’s line “Milly” encompasses bold statement pieces, color blocking, mixes of textures and patterns, and simple silhouettes. Michael’s line is made up of very chic and edgy pieces and I literally fell in love with his most recent collection featured on the runways of New York Fashion Week.  

HC: Why is fashion important to you?

BM: It’s a way for me to express creativity! There have been many times where I wanted to dress a certain way, but could not find that right top or bottom in the stores. I love having the freedom to create what I want, when I want, and for a cheaper price. Designing is also therapeutic for me. It helps to achieve that work/life balance especially in the midst of a busy semester at school.

HC: How would you describe your style and the style of your fashion line?

BM: My style is classic, timeless, and edgy. I’m all for a good statement piece that wows the crowd. I love experimenting with colors, especially power colors such as red wines, and royal blues. Because I am also a dancer, I tend to switch up my edgy look for more of a street style. “Dynasty” is a great representation of who I am as a designer. It is a sophisticated and edgy ready-to-wear collection created for individuals with ambition, drive, and style.

HC: What made you create MasTERPiece and what makes this group different from other organizations on campus?

BM: Upon entering college, I realized that the University of Maryland had no outlets for me to pursue my love for fashion. I am a strong believer in the saying, “If the opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door.” So, I created MasTERPiece, an organization dedicated to fashion entrepreneurs to gain the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in the retail industry. Through workshops, guest speakers, and collaborations with other organizations on campus, the creation of MasTERPiece has contributed to the efforts in exploring the lack of support for the arts on campus.

HC: How did you come up with the name “Dynasty”?

BM: I wanted my brand to represent ambitious individuals who were on their grind to achieve success. I wanted my brand to be associated with power, determination, success, royalty, ambition, leadership, etc. When I think of “Dynasty,” I think of just that.

HC: What advice would you give to other aspiring entrepreneurs on campus about starting their own company?

BM: Network and build a support group of people who want to see you succeed.  MasTERPiece meets every Tuesday from 6-7:15pm in the Stamp Student Union. It a great way to meet others who have similar goals and interest!

The most important advice I would give is to act NOW! College is the best possible time to pursue doing what you love because the risks are low and the potential outcomes are great. You can’t fail unless you quit, so take advantage of every situation as a learning moment and build upon your talents and skills to reach success and finally, maintain a list of short term and long term goals. It helps to map out your road of success so you can see where you are going and remain focused.

Take a look for yourself and see Brittany’s fashion forward designs on her website and other social networks!

Website: www.dynastybybrittany.com

IG/Twitter: @dynastybybrittany

Facebook: Dynasty By Brittany

Kayline is currently a senior at the University of Maryland-College Park. She is a Family Science Major focusing on Sports Medicine and Physical Therapy. On her down time, she expresses her passion either on the volleyball court or dancing all over campus. She hopes to become a Sports Physical Therapist and contribute as a writer for a health magazine. She is obsessed with "Friends" (the show), shopping, and trying new things! She believes everyone grows at their own pace and as a new HerCampus writer, she hopes to help her readers grow into awesome women by sharing her thoughts and views of the world and all its beauty! :) Find her on Instagram @kay.limepie