This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Getting back to school is so exciting. You get new school supplies, reconnect with your friends, and wake up super early in time to get ready and make it to class.  As hard as you try to wake up when your alarm goes off, do you always end up hitting snooze and rushing out the door last minute with half of your hair done and mismatched socks? Well girlfriend, I think I can help you out.  As someone who has begged for those last 5 minutes of sleep since I started kindergarten, I can help you maximize your snooze time by minimizing your morning routine.

1. If you are someone who always does their hair in the morning, stop what you’re doing! Doing your hair probably takes you at least 15 minutes, so try having your hair done before you go to sleep and touching it up the next morning.  If you are washing your hair at night, let it air-dry most of the way then braid it for loose waves in the morning! 
  2. The night before you can set out your outfit for the day.  Don’t forget to grab socks and the proper undergarments and accessories, so you don’t have to search for them in the morning.  No need to stare into your closet without an idea of what to wear. 
  3. If you like to eat breakfast before class, try to make sure you have something in your room to grab and go.  In a dorm, try quick oats or a protein bar. You’ll save about 20 minutes by skipping the diner.  If you live in an apartment, you can get a little more creative. Try pre-making a fruit salad or having a smoothie! 
  4. Try to have a go to makeup look for class days.  A quick coat of mascara, tinted moisturizer and some lip balm go on super easy.  If you don’t wear makeup, you can skip this step.  But on the other hand, if you wear a full face try to keep a specific order so you don’t forget any steps last minute. 
  5. Last but not least, make sure to have your homework done and your schoolbag packed before you go to bed.  Avoid leaving reading assignments until the morning. You probably won’t finish, and you would much rather sleep those extra minutes.