8 Thrifty DIY Gifts to Make This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

The joys of Chrismahanakwanzika really do lie in the gift of giving. But as the last of your diner points dwindle down to nothing, the thought of giving all your friends and family a great gift for the holidays tends to disappear. So, here are a few gift-giving options that’ll please all your loved ones without breaking that “itty bitty” bank. 

Baked Goods: There is nothing people love more than a great oven-baked treat such as cookies, brownies, and peppermint bark around the colder winter months. Baking your friend or family member their favorite goodie is not only cheap, but it’s also super fast. And, to take it up a notch, stacking them in a decorative mason jar or festive container is also a cute touch. 

Gift Baskets: Over the year, we just mindlessly walk by that $1 section of Target, unaware of how useful it is when you want to make something special for another person. Travel-sized products and small little trinkets, stuffed inside a sock, basket or bucket are great for providing buddies with things they’ll actually USE within reasonable costs. And, whether they highlight gardening, beauty or sports, these assortments are sure to show someone you really pay attention to their interests.

Movie Kits: Supermarkets and drugstores usually have humungous bins filled with $5 DVDs. So grab a classic, some movie theater candy, and a small pack of popcorn to give a loved one for them to enjoy for the holiday season.

Thrift Shop Sweaters: Macklemore’s “Thrift Shop” is a frugal friend’s anthem this time of the year, because there are so many nice clothing pieces you can find sitting on those clustered racks. Get humorous with your gift, by picking up the ugliest Christmas sweater you can find, or take a retro route by purchasing a cool 80s-style sweater. 

Personalized Mugs: Arguably one of the easiest DIY gifts ever. Personalized mugs are super sentimental, and of course, very cheap. Grab a mug from the dollar store and an oil-based sharpie marker. Then write your message or design and bake that sucker for 20 minutes in an oven set to 350 degrees. For an extra oomph, fill your mug with packets of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. 

Baking Gifts: For people who like to spend time in the kitchen, a mason jar of intricately layered dry ingredients and a recipe tag, is a delicious treat for that special someone. It’s pretty, it’s easy, and it’s great for non-immediate use. 

Money Origami: For the younger kids who you love, but don’t really know all too well, some good ol’ green does the trick. But instead of shoving a crinkled dollar bill in a store bought card, look up tutorials on how to fold that money into a fun, origami shape. The extra effort really does go a long way for a child. 

DIY Handbook: If all else fails, something really tender and affectionate should do the trick. Grab a deck of cards and write a small book, filled with inside jokes, happy memories and reasons why you’re grateful to have that special someone in your life. After all, the only thing better than a Santa is a sentimental Santa.