8 Awkward Situations You’ll Most Likely Experience in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

1.You don’t know what a guy means when he says “Let’s hang out”

Ahh I’m sure we have all experienced this. A guy asks you to hang out but you don’t know what hang out means. You both know you are really attracted to each other but no one says which direction you are headed. Yeah, it can be a quite confusing situation but if it’s Ryan Gosling we all know what that means right?

2.You met someone last week and run into them the following week, they remember your name and you’re like….

Remember people’s names! To survive college you must remember people’s names. It can seem that you don’t care about people if you just brush off their names, this will honestly lead to a successful college career and even success in the real world. It will also save you from A LOT of awkward situations.

3.You experiment with a new look and it fails

Yes, but you still gotta own it. We have all had our fair shares of bad haircuts, bad makeup and bad outfits, but hey – when it happens make sure you own it. People will laugh and talk but what can you do?

4.You leave your dorm room door unlocked and there is always that one boy who doesn’t know how to knock…

I’m sure we all know that one boy who sees a crack in your door and thinks that means open invite for anyone who passes by. You’re thankful if he walks in when you’re dressed but other times you’re not so lucky.

5.Awkward silences when you visit your teachers for office hours

If you are not good at small talk it can get uncomfortable when you are at your professors office hours. Sometimes you don’t know what to say to transition into a new topic or continue with the conversation you were having and oh it can all get pretty uncomfortable. Good news is, you start from somewhere right?

6.One of your friends starts the most uncomfortable conversations while at dinner with new friends you are trying to impress.

We all have that one friend who doesn’t know what topics are on and off the table when having dinner with people that aren’t in your friend group. Be prepared to cover for your friend because it can get interesting…. to say the least.

7.You’re walking and you see a classmate far away but you don’t know whether to smile now or when you get closer

“Do I look up now or when I get closer?” Yes, every day I ask this question. You don’t want to ignore your classmate but you also don’t want to be creepy and smile for 50 more feet.  So what do you do?

8.You are hanging out with a few of your friends but only one is your close friend and she steps out leaving you with the other friends and you don’t know what to say….

One thing I like about college is you can have so many friends in different social groups. But when you are hanging out with your friend who and her friend who she wants you to be friends with as well finding and sustaining a conversation can be difficult.