This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Over the summer I have been reflecting on my experience as a college freshman. Through my reflections I have learned a lot about myself as well as changed my perspective about college life. I came into college with the idea that college life should emulate the lifestyles portrayed in movies such as “Sydney White,” “Pitch Perfect” and “Legally Blonde.” Then I came to college and reality hit me; college was nothing like the movies.  While I am not done learning, these are a few things I wish I had known going into my freshman year at the University of Maryland. Now, I share my newfound knowledge with you!

1. You won’t meet your best friends right away.

Ahhhh this was my first reality check in college.  We have all heard it from our parents and relatives that college is where you will most likely meet your best friends. That statement is absolutely true, but chances are you won’t meet your best friends within the first week of college or even the first semester. True friendships take time to form, and forced friendships will not get you very far. Take time to know people you meet in college but also be patient in finding friends that share the same interests as you do. It is important to socialize even with groups you don’t see having future friendships with because you may just meet your future best friends through that group. And don’t worry; you are not the only one experiencing the loneliness that college can bring. Everyone is looking for a stable friend group and that may even mean forcing empty friendships.

2. Embrace challenge

The word ‘challenge’ is frightening. I never wanted to try something new in fear of failure and judgment. So I stayed away from taking on any new challenges during my first semester of college. Staying in my comfort zone felt extremely safe but I wasn’t growing or gaining much from my college experience. Luckily, I realized that as a freshman and quickly decided to change during my second semester. I took on new challenges and tried things I swore I would never do. Was it scary? Yes, but I gained confidence in myself, discovered my ambitions and learned to appreciate the growth that comes from challenges.

3. College is only four years

Believe it or not, college will be over quickly. While college should be fun, it is important that you don’t lose sight of your future. College is an incredible time to figure out your passions and make success for yourself. It is easy to get lost in the college atmosphere because it is so overwhelming, but ten years down the line what will matter is what you did with the time you were in college. So enjoy college as much as you can but your priority should be building your future, which will be even more exciting if you prepare for it well! 

4. Get to know yourself

I look at college as a chance to discover who you are. In high school, life most likely consisted of expectations from family and friends. In college you have the chance to get to know yourself and become the person you always wanted to become. Take time to be alone regularly and figure out what it is that interests you. You will also most likely discover this as you try new things. Becoming your own best friend is the most rewarding and exciting thing you can do for yourself in college.

5. Be Yourself

This may be the most important piece of advice I can give someone starting their freshman year. If you are going to have a great experience in college or at any stage in life, it is important to appreciate yourself. That means staying true to your beliefs and goals. Changing yourself to please others is doing yourself harm. Appreciate that you are unique and there is no one else like you!

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.