3 Ways To Stick To Your New Year’s Fitness Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Making a New Year’s resolution is a great way to keep yourself accountable and push yourself to achieve a goal you have been thinking about. But we are now two months into 2018 and it might be harder to keep that health and fitness motivation going.

Now that the semester is starting to pick up, it is important to still prioritize your health and fitness journey. Here are some easy tips and tricks to keep yourself accountable and achieve that New Year’s resolution.

1. Drink water.

Drinking water not only keeps you hydrated- which is great for your skin and hair- but it also keeps you full. Most people say to drink at least eight cups of water a day. This can be difficult when you’re running around all day and don’t have a second to sit down and pour a glass.

The solution to this is to get a water bottle that isn’t difficult to carry around. There are so many brands out there that have cute styles and hold a lot. There’s Swell, Nalgene, Hydroflask and Camelback just to name a few. If you drink two of these a day you will definitely be full and hydrated.

2. Plan your meals.

Meal prepping sounds overwhelming, but it is really simple and can help you out a lot throughout the rest of the week. After you finish your homework, take the time on Sunday to make some food for the rest of the week.

Roast some veggies, make a protein and maybe some rice or quinoa, then make sure you have some lettuce handy. Throughout the week you can create yummy nourishment bowls by combining all of these for a tasty, healthy meal that will keep you full for a pretty long time.

3. Make an effort to be active.

Between studying, class and clubs, finding time to work out might be challenging. But this all comes back to prioritizing.

Start small. Maybe instead of watching Netflix once or twice a week, do a 15-minute ab routine in your room. Or go for a walk with a friend Saturday morning before grabbing Bagels n’ Grinds. Making small changes to stay active can add up to big results if you keep them going for a whole year.

When you don’t see results right away, it can get discouraging. It is important to remember that these things do not happen overnight. Taking the time to plan and do things the right way makes it that much more exciting when you achieve your goals.

Believe in yourself and know that these things take time. You can do it!

Hi I'm Mel, a senior studying communication with a focus in public relations and government & politics here at the University of Maryland. I hope you like what I have to say!
Maryam Pitt

Maryland '18

.