15 Things Only Girls Born in the 90s Will Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

1. Mean Girls

For us girls born in the 90s we were probably in elementary or middle school when this masterpiece came out. To this day, this movie is a guide to the world of girls. This movie is our absolute favorite and it always will be.

2. Getting your ears pierced at Claire’s

Getting your ears pierced at Claire’s was a right of passage. The second you walked out of there with a pair of new holes in your ears, you knew you were a woman. The thrill of picking out which starter studs you were going to get combined the utter terror that came when the gun was about to pierce your ear was a life-changing experience.  Props to you if you didn’t shed a tear.

3. Lizzie McGuire

Let’s be real here, Hillary Duff was a goddess and she pretty much defined your childhood. This show was golden and we all know how pumped you were when the movie came out. The life lessons Lizzie taught us are things we will never forget.  And if reruns came on TV or on Netlfix, I think we would probably devour every second of this Disney goodness. No shame.

4. That’s So Raven

When Lizzie McGuire ended we were all beyond devastated but not for too long because Disney Channel made up for it with this beauty. There was no greater experence than coming home after a long hard day of school and plopping down on the couch and sharing a few hearty laughs with Raven and the gang.

5. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

Image from Fanpop.com

There was nothing in this world you wanted more than to be friends with Bridget, Lena, Tibby and Carmen. They were just the coolest group of girls that you ever laid eyes on and all you wanted to know was whether you’d fit into those pants too.

6. Limited Too

There was no way on this Earth you were considered even remotely cool if you didn’t shop at this store. You used to drag your mom into the store and beg her to buy you that $30 dollar T-shirt with matching hand-socks because you just absolutely needed them. You also scoffed when they changed the name to Justice because…what even is that?

7. Black Steve Madden Sandals

Photo from totallyloveit.com

These sandals were all the rage back in the day. Something about the sound they made when they smacked against your foot with every step was just so appealing.

8. Choker necklaces

Photo from The Fader

These little pieces of jewelry were once the trendiest, most stylish pieces of plastic you owned. They just made you feel so sexy and rebellious when you had them on.

9. Snap on bracelets

Photo from pamswordsofwisdom.blogspot.com

There was nothing more satisfying than slapping one of these on your wrist back in the day. Sitting in class wiggling them around in a snake-like fashion was an added bonus.

10. Harry Potter

Every time a new book or movie came out your life got infinitely better. Standing in line for hours with your parents was probably torturous for them, but you enjoyed every single second of it. And I’m sure that someone cried after mischief was managed because we have basically grown up with this series from birth to graduation! 

11. The Backstreet Boys and NSYNC

If you lived in the early 2000s at all you were a huge fan of either of these groups, if not both. You bought every CD and you listened to them nonstop on that wicked cool boom box of yours.

12. The Sidekick

At that point in your life this phone was easily that sickest gadget you had ever seen. Before smartphones, you were by far the coolest kid at your school if you had one of these cell phones.  The Razr just could not compete. You probably walked the halls watching your subjects bow before you as you nonchalantly pushed that right corner and watched the screen swivel majestically.  

13. Extremely Embarrassing Email Addresses

It was probably something with an obscene number of Xs @aol.com. Maybe it was a funny nickname or an inside joke but no matter what, it was terribly embarrassing.

14. The First iPod 

You were constantly on your best behavior the moment after this came out. There was nothing else on your Christmas list because there was honestly nothing else you needed on this planet.

15. Spongebob

The best time to quote Spongebob is all the time. This TV show was a classic and it was absolutely the highlight of your life. To this day, the script of this show is applicable and appropriate in every situation.

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.