15 Quick and Easy Recipes to Fit a Healthy Lifestyle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Eating healthy in college is nearly impossible. With dining halls, countless fast food options right around the corner, not to mention the millions of pizza places that line the streets of Route 1, eating healthy can be difficult.  After a long day of classes and club meetings, heating something up in the microwave and crawling into bed sounds like a dream, but they don’t call it the “Freshman 15” for nothing, so get rid of that fantasy, go buy some cooking supplies and eat better!

Here are some delicious, good meals that all take no more than 45 minutes to make. Some are my own special creations, and other favorites I found online! All are variations of breakfast choices, snacks, smoothies, dinners, and even some desserts! All of these ingredients can be found at any local grocery store, or the Common Shop over on South Campus directly underneath the South Campus Dining Hall.

1. Sugar & Spice Kale Chips

Things you’ll need: granulated sugar, cinnamon, cayenne, and fresh kale

Instructions: Grab a handful of Kale leaves and spread them on a baking tray. Next sprinkle on 2 teaspoons of sugar and 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon, along with a pinch of cayenne. Then put in the oven for about five minutes depending on how crunchy you want them to be!

Calories: About 100

Serves: Depending on how many pieces of kale used

Start to finish: 6 minutes

Recipe from shape.com

2. Filler-up smoothie

Things you’ll need: Kale, peaches, bananas, strawberries, apples, Greek yogurt, spinach leaves, ice and chia seeds

Instructions: Blend all ingredients until it comes to a smooth liquid or whichever thickness you prefer. Using chia seeds in smoothies or any type of recipe helps fill you up more, and is a good source of protein.

Calories: About 200

Serves: 1

Start to finish: less than 7 minutes

3. Flatbread cheese pizza

Things you’ll need: tortilla, tomatoes, and either fresh mozzarella or mozzarella-grated cheese

Instructions: Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Chop up a fourth cup of tomatoes and spread them on the tortilla. If you want to add basil for an extra spicy taste, you should spread that on along with the tomatoes.  Then sprinkle on top a fourth cup of mozzarella cheese. Next, bake for about 8-10 minutes.

Calories: About 270

Serves: 1 or 2

Start to finish: 15 minutes

Recipe from shape.com

4. Almond Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Things you’ll need: Flaxseed meal, unsalted butter, brown sugar, granulated raw sugar or cane juice, pure vanilla extract, unsweetened almond butter, white whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, old-fashioned rolled oats, dark chocolate chips (unless you prefer milk chocolate)

Instructions: Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Grab two baking sheets and line them with wax paper. In a small bowl, mix together3 tablespoons of flaxseed meal along with ½ cup of water. In a separate bowl, beat a stick of butter, ½ a cup of the raw granulated sugar or cane juice, 1 pack of brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract for about 3-6 minutes or until it’s fluffy. If you have an electric mixer that will cut the time in half! Add the flaxseed into the bowl, along with 1 and ¼ cup of almond butter, and a fourth cup of water until everything is mixed together. Make sure you scrape all ingredients to the middle of the bowl, rather than having it clumped to the sides! Once that’s done, add in 2 and ¼ cups of flour, ½ teaspoon of baking powder, ½ a teaspoon of baking soda, and ½ teaspoon of salt. Mix these together. Continue to scrape down the sides of your bowl so nothing gets left behind! Lastly, add in 1 and ¾ cups of oats and 1 and ½ cups of chocolate chips. Again mix this together. Use your hands to scoop out portions for your trays. Bake for about 8-10 minutes. These cookies last for about 5 days as long as they are kept covered, or put inside a container. But, could last for four months when frozen!

Calories:  About 129 calories per cookie

Serves: A whole floor of people!

Start to finish: less than 30 minutes

Recipe from shape.com

5. “Flat-Belly” Smoothie

Things you’ll need: Greek yogurt, almond butter, blueberries, pineapples, kale, water, and ice

Instructions: Blend together until smooth

Calories: About 250

Serves: 1

Start to finish: less than 7 minutes

Recipe from shape.com

[ pagebreak ]

6. Skillet Nachos

Things you’ll need: tortillas, canola oil spray, salt, red onions, ground beef (I use bison, but it’s whatever you prefer), chili powder, red peppers, 2 tomatoes, cilantro, black beans, shredded pepper jack cheese, avocado, and Greek yogurt. (If you don’t like any of these added extras to top on your nachos, you can just replace them with something else or skip it!)

Instructions: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut your tortilla into triangles so they make a “chip-shape”. Spray them with canola oil, and sprinkle on ¼ teaspoon of salt. Bake them for about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let them sit for about a minutes, but keep your oven on. Heat 1 teaspoon of your oil in a pan over high heat for about a minutes. Turn it down to medium, cut your onions until sautéed and add in 2 tablespoons to the mix. Then add in 4 ounces of your beef, ½ teaspoon of chili powder, and a pinch of red peppers depending on how spicy you want your mixture to be. Cook these together for about 3-4 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. Turn off your stove, and set aside. Mix in a separate bowl 10 teaspoons of the remaining cut up onions, both your tomatoes diced, and an eighth cup of cilantro. Then, place your chips, meat mixture, tomatoes mixture and ¼ cup of beans all together topping the chips. Top with a half-cup of cheese and put in oven for 8-10 minutes or microwave for 30 seconds. Lastly, dice up half an avocado and spread on top along with 2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt!

Calories: Around 420

Serves: 2

Start to finish: less than 30 minutes

Recipe from shape.com

7. Fruit Kabobs

Things you’ll need: toothpicks, a selection of your favorite fresh fruit

Instructions: Dice up your favorite fruits so they are a thin size. Place them on a toothpick in any arrangement you like. These are perfect for fun, easy snacks on the go. They can stay fresh in a fridge for 1-2 days, and in a freezer for months! So, eat them as a fresh snack or a frozen treat!

Calories: Depending on fruit

Serves: 1 cube serves 1 person

Start to finish: 5 minutes

8. Cucumber Salsa

Things you’ll need: Cucumber, a tomato, a red onion, parsley, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, garlic, reduced fat sour cream, lemon and lime juice or better yet fresh, cumin, salt, and tortilla chips

Instructions: Dice up all produce and fruit except the lemon and lime (if you decide to do fresh). In a small bowl combine the first seven ingredients: 2 cups of chopped cucumber, ½ cup of chopped tomatoes, ¼ cup of a chopped red onion, 2 tablespoons of minced parsley, 1 chopped jalapeno pepper, 4-1/2 tablespoons of diced cilantro, and 1 garlic clove also chopped. In a separate bowl add ¼ cup of sour cream, ½ teaspoon of lemon juice, ½ teaspoon of lime juice, ½ teaspoon of cumin, and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Combine these together. Pour your sour cream mixture over the chopped vegetables and toss it together. This mix will not last overnight so dip your chips in right away!

Calories: About 200

Serves: A small group

Start to finish: 10 minutes

Recipe ftom My Fridge Food 

9. Chicken or Cheese Quesadillas

Things you’ll need: tortilla, grated cheese, and optional frozen grilled chicken

Instructions: If using frozen chicken, lay out ahead of time or microwave/grill until unfrozen. There are two ways to make your quesadilla. The first way is over the stove. Turn stove on to medium heat, place your first layer of tortilla shell in the pan and then apply your choice of cheese and/or chicken and apply the top half. Heat and flip sides until brown. The second option is to use a microwave oven. Place on tray or directly on rack, your first tortilla shell, add in your toppings and place second tortilla shell on top. Heat for about 8-10 minutes.

Calories: Depending on type of frozen chicken

Serves: 1

Start to finish: less than 15 minutes

10. Mac and Cheese

Things you’ll need: Any type of non-stick cooking spray (I use Pam), salt, whole what macaroni, onion-garlic cloves, dry mustard, fresh pepper, low fat cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt, whole wheat bread crumbs, and parmesan

Instructions: Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Grab a medium sized baking dish and spray it with your cooking spray. Bring out a large bowl, add in water and add in a couple pinches of salt, let it come to a boil. Then add in your whole-wheat macaroni and follow the cooking directions on the type you decided to buy. Then drain out water. In another saucepan add in ½ cup of onion, ½ teaspoon of your mustard, and a pinch of pepper. Stir in 1 cup of shredded cheese until melted with the mixture. Remove the mixture off the stove and add in 1/3 cup of Greek yogurt, and mix together. In a medium sized bowl, add in your macaroni and your cheese mix, and then toss together. After mixing, put the mac and cheese into your baking dish you set aside earlier. Sprinkle, ¼ cup of bread crumbs on top along with ¼ cup of Parmesan. Bake in oven for around 10 minutes. Use a toothpick to make sure it is baked completely through!

Calories: About 240

Serves: 4

Start to finish: Depends on the type of macaroni you buy

Recipe from Fitness Magazine

[ pagebreak ]

11. Tasty Toast

Things you’ll need: Whole wheat bread, hazelnut butter spread, a fresh banana, chia seeds, and granola

Instructions: Toast bread to your preferred darkness. Spread a thin layer of hazelnut butter. Then, chop up fresh banana into thin slices and spread them on the toast, but leave some room! In the cracks of the sliced banana sprinkle a mixture of chia seeds and granola!

Calories: Depends on bread used

Serves: 1

Start to finish: less than 8 minutes

12. Bean Dip

Things you’ll need: White Cannellini beans, Olive oil, Garlic clove, Dry rosemary, and a lemon

Instructions: In a blender combine, 1 cup of your beans, ¼ cup of olive oil, 1 garlic clove, a teaspoon of rosemary, and small pieces of the skin of the lemon. Blend until it comes to a creamy mixture. If you do not have a blender, stir heavily.

Calories: Depending on brand of beans and olive oil

Serves: 6-8 people

Start to finish: 10 minutes

Recipe from GMA Recipes.  

13. Meatball Sliders

Things you’ll need: Olive oil cooking spray, ground turkey, 2 cloves of garlic, egg white (you can buy this already done), yellow onion, red bell peppers, Italian seasoning, sea salt, black pepper, natural canned marinara sauce, shredded skim-mozzarella cheese, and pita buns

Instructions: Patties must be 1 day in advanced, wrapped and refrigerated. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line your baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. In a medium mixing bowl combine 1 lb of turkey, 2 diced minced cloves of garlic, 1 egg white, ¼ cup minced onion, ¼ of minced red bell peppers, 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ teaspoon of pepper. Mix ingredients together until they come together. Using a spoon or your hands make them into small patties. Make them small enough to fit on your buns and place on baking sheet. When ready to make, put patties in oven for up to ten minutes. Take out of oven, and flip over so they cook through, and bake for 5 more minutes. Heat up marinara sauce in pan, or microwave and pour about a ½ cup over each patty, along with sprinkling ½ cup of Parmesan. Put your broiler setting on oven to high and put in oven for 4-5 minutes. Place your patties on buns. You may toast pita buns if you’d like!

Calories: 213 for 2 sliders

Serves: depending on how many pita buns used

Start to finish: 40 minutes

Recipe from Clean Eating Magazine

14. Hummus with Pita & Peas

Things you’ll need: Whole grain pita chips, Hummus, and pea pods

Instructions: Get a bowl and dish out 3 tablespoons of hummus. Use about 8 pita chips or if you’re feeling ambitious you can buy whole-grain pita and cut it into pieces. Then use a half-cup of pea pods. Use this as filler in between meals!

Calories: less than 150

Serves: 1

Start to finish: 5 minutes

Recipe from Fitness Magazine

15. Oatmeal & Berries

Things you’ll need: Low-sugar oatmeal and a mix of your favorite berries!

Instructions: Cook 1 packet of oatmeal in microwave according to directions on back. While it’s cooking, slice up your favorite berries. For a frozen treat, use frozen fruit. Add in you berries to your oatmeal mixture. Berries have lots of anti-oxidants so adding them into your foods assists with your health!

Calories: less than 150

Serves: 1

Start to finish: Depends on how long instructions say to cook oatmeal

Recipe from Fitness Magazine

My name is Meghan Moriarty. I am one of the editor-in-chief's of Her Campus Maryland.
Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.