10 Struggles to Not Having an On-Campus Friend Group

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

There are thousands of people on UMD’s campus every day, and with lots of people comes loads of opportunities to make potential “besties.” But let’s face it, not all of us are as fortunate to have a huge crew of friends who can all depend on one another at every second of every day. Instead, some us have a personal hodge-podge collection of pals to talk to.

And though companionship, however form it comes in, is super rewarding, having no solidified friend group while away at college does come with its many disadvantages. For example:

1. You never know when a guy friend is just a guy friend because you go to dinner with everyone one-on-one.

2. You are always unaccompanied when “Wannabe” by the Spice Girls comes on, so you have to act as Scary, Posh, Ginger, Sporty AND Scary all by yourself.

3. You miss being a part of big group chats where everyone ignores each other, because now if you overlook a particular friend’s string of irrelevant Kanye West memes at 2:00 in the morning, you look like a jerk face.

4. You would love to introduce all your friends to one other, but you cannot bring yourself to do it because you know a lot of them would seriously hate each other.

5. You never get to caption your Instagram photos “#SQUADGOALS” and have to live vicariously through Taylor Swift’s “Bad Blood” video, instead.

6. You constantly question why it seems everyone and their momma is living their lives as the plot of “Friends” and wonder when you are going to find your Chandler, your Phoebe, your Joey and your lobster.

7. You barely have enough time, as it is to retain any sense of a social life with school and work nipping at your heels, so it has been almost a month since you saw some of your so-called “besties.”

8. Because no one friend knows another, you complain about some to others, which pretty much makes you a total Regina George, not the Janice Ian you thought you were.

9. You see different friends’ roommates and pals at parties, but they remain your awkward acquaintances because occasional nighttime get-togethers are literally the only time you ever see them.

10. But hey, even though nothing is like you pictured it, you still have some pretty great people in your life, and they each bring out a unique side of you. And in a way, that is the most important #goal of all.