The Seven Essential Movies to Get You in the Halloween Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marshall chapter.

No, this isn’t another list of the scariest movies to watch as an ode to the season. Personally, I’m not a horror film watcher as the gore and repetitive violence do not appeal to me. But even I can’t help but dive into the classics when the leaves begin to turn. The films in this list actually aren’t scary at all. But they’re the kind you can’t miss while you carve a pumpkin or paint cat whiskers onto your face. 

Hocus Pocus

The movie I guarantee is on almost every Halloween movie watch list, Hocus Pocus is the ultimate All Hallows Eve must see. For the unlucky few who have never seen the phenomenal throwback to 1993, the cult classic follows the resurrection of 300-years deceased sister witches  Winifred (Bette Midler), Sarah (Sarah Jessica Parker) and Mary (Kathy Najimy) and their quest for everlasting youth — by no other means than consuming the souls of children, of course. Their plans to live forever are however foiled by two teenagers, a young girl and an immortal talking cat. 

The Nightmare Before Christmas

The beauty of The Nightmare Before Christmas is not just its catchy soundtrack and classic Tim Burton animation, but its dual-holiday watchability and a touch of romance. Ghouls, monsters, skeleton kings and Sandy Clause. What more could you ask for? In the Halloween-Christmas crossover, Jack Skellington discovers the world of Christmas and decides he wants it for himself before really understanding what it’s all about. 

Halloweentown

Easily one of the best of the classic Disney Channel Original Movies, the original Halloweentown features three siblings, Marnie (Kimberly Brown), Dylan (Joey Zimmerman) and Sophie (Emily Roeske) who discover their magical roots and their own powers in the mystical Halloweentown. Grandma Aggie (Debbie Reynolds) has other plans for eldest sibling Marnie as darkness and evil grow in Halloweentown. But the best part of the film is its 90s feel and nostalgic vibes. 

Edward Scissorhands

Johnny Depp’s title character is an uncommonly gentle man who falls in love with a girl, Kim (Winona Ryder). But with scissors for hands, things are complicated. Edward Scissorhands is more sad romance than spooky Halloween material, but Tim Burton’s signature creepy direction make it the ideal movie for the holiday. 

It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Who doesn’t love the Peanuts gang? Featuring Linus waiting for the mystical Great Pumpkin (basically the Santa Claus of Halloweeen), It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown is a Halloween staple. 

Harry Potter

Okay, so it’s not a Halloween movie exactly, but the entire Harry Potter series is packed with wizards, witches, monsters, mythical creatures and magic. With just the right amount of mystery and creepiness, all eight in the series are perfect for putting you in the spooky, mystical, Halloween mood. I mean, let’s be real, do we even need a holiday excuse to watch them all anyway?

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

When their car breaks down one stormy night, Brad Majors (Barry Bostwick) and Janet Weiss (Susan Sarandon) venture to the castle of transvestite Dr. Frank-N-Furter (Tim Curry) for shelter. They are offered a place to stay, but question whether to dive further into the bizarre world of dancing Transylvanians and man-made men. This one is guaranteed to be on television at some point during the season. 

Codi Mohr

Marshall

Codi is a senior print journalism major whose one and only interest is pop culture. She is currently working as Executive Editor at Marshall University's student newspaper, The Parthenon. When she's not working with the paper, she can be found fangirling over her latest music/movie obsession, Pentatonix or Beyoncé.