This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marshall chapter.

There’s no question as to why this multi-talented young lady has taken this week’s Campus Celebrity spot.  Taking on her many responsibilities on and off campus, campaigning for the upcoming election, or running a track meet; Izzy Rogner will not be a name you’re likely to forget any time soon. Today, she is taking over Marshall University with her brilliant plans, ambitions, and kind-hearted personality, which is more than worthy of our Campus Celebrity position.  

Name:  Isabelle Rogner

Major: International Business, Minors in Marketing and Political Science

Hometown: Lewisburg, WV

Year: Senior

HC: What Position are you running/campaigning for?

IR: Student Body Vice President while running with Duncan Waugaman as Student Body President.

HC: What activities are you involved in on Campus?

• IR: Marshall University Track and Field Team
  • Marshall University Student Athletic Advisory Council
  • Marshall University National Society of Collegiate Scholars

In the community some activities I’m involved in:

–       Babysitting for several families around Huntington

–       Marketing Intern for the marketing agency, Mythology, in Charleston, WV

–       I’m on the Create WV’s Board of Advisors

o   The mission of Create West Virginia is to support the development of creative communities, companies, and centers of learning that thrive in the global innovation economy.

o   This is where I spend A LOT of time! It’s an awesome nonprofit that will eventually have a huge impact on getting Marshall students who love creativity and technology to stay in the area after graduation.

HC: What future goals/plans do you have for yourself?

IR: I’m really interested in community development, whether that’s looking at smaller communities like Huntington or big cities like Tokyo or NYC. In the future, my goal is to not merely climb the corporate and political ladder, but to bring significant changes to communities on a world scale through leadership roles in the business world as well as political.

Tell us something unique about yourself…

IR: Most people live in WV because they were born here or have family here. Neither applies to me! My family actually moved to WV after my dad and I went on a spontaneous road trip up the east coast starting where we were currently residing in Atlanta. I was complaining to my dad that I was hungry (I was 8 years old at the time), so we got off exit 69 of Lewisburg. While exploring the cute downtown, I looked at my dad and said, “ ya know, I really like this place. Can we go house shopping?” Sure enough, 10 minutes down the road was a cute little home for sale. Before I knew it, my dad called my mom to tell her he had bought the house and that we were moving in next week! In a way, I guess you could say I picked to live in this beautiful state all on my own.

HC: What made you want to run for office?

IR: My mom’s always said, “if not you Izzy, then who?” So when Duncan asked me to run by his side I knew we would be the perfect team. I’ve had the opportunity to view our university from many different angles. I’ve been involved with SGA my first year at Marshall, but I’ve also had years when I was not connected with SGA. Both views were able to provide me with insights that I believe can be used to make changes here at Marshall that will affect all students positively, not just niche groups.

HC: What piece of advice would you give underclassmen or someone wishing to get more involved on campus?

IR: I’d tell underclassmen to put themselves out there and ask questions! I know this is easier said than done so here’s my advice.  Talk one of your friends into attending some of the events you see on the flyers around campus. My freshman year, I attended events like the Film Festival, some of the plays, and intro meetings for clubs and discussions. Some ended up being a blast, and for those not as exciting I owed my friend Froyo downtown that night. It’s a win, win, right?

HC: What improvements or requirements you see working on to improve Marshall University, if elected?

IR: If elected, my biggest improvement to the students of Marshall will be a 24-7 transportation system that will run from Pullman Plaza all the way down to the Rec Center. I think there is a huge disconnect between our downtown area and campus. Students that don’t have their own car while at school aren’t given the opportunity to enjoy all of the shops, restaurants, and events that Huntington has to offer. A transportation system would also take care of a lot of safety issues for our university. Students will no longer have to walk home during later hours and will avoid drinking and driving. Students WANT to love this University and this town, so lets fuel it by providing students a way to explore what we have to offer!

PR Major at MU. Starbucks Addict. Book Fanatic. Independent Tactic. Very Enthusiastic. But they call me Allison for short. :)