Why The Yodeling Boy Is An American Treasure: An Analysis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Between his seamless riffs and slight twain its apparent why Mason Ramsey has blown up on the internet. However, many kids are great entertainers (i.e. Sophia Grace and Rosie circa 2012) so what is the special magic about the boy deemed ‘The Walmart Yodeling Boy’ that makes him so entertaining and caused him to become one of the biggest memes?

To unpack the mania behind this new sensation I will go into an analysis as to why ‘The Yodeling Boy’ is not only deserving of his fame, but also a meme sensation.

1. His Clear Soprano

This boy has some pipes. That’s the truth, but there’s just something about his clean soprano twain that reals in the audiences. His slides are smooth and he’s able to hold resonance at a variety of pitches. Although he’s prepubescent, his range is promising, and everyone loves a good range (which is what’s drawing in these fans). With riffs (most notably present on the word ‘Daddy’) like that- this kid is going places!

2. His Humble Stage

There’s nothing more relatable than a musician who doesn’t need a whole getup. No stage lights, no fancy stage, or backup dancers. Many feel an artist who has to go the extra mile with a production full of pyro techniques and half naked dancers must be compensating for something. Not Mason, though. He humbly stands in the aisles of Walmart, roughing it like us normal folks, with a down-to-earth pair of blue jeans. That’s all he needs, and the talent speaks for itself.

3. Relatable Rain Boots

There’s something about the little tap of his rain boot. It’s consistent, it’s genuine, it’s all we as a society have wanted and more. Can’t you relate to a rainy day’s attire in which you slip on your rain boots and head to the stores. Mason is an everyday guy and the tap of his rain boot makes this performance feel more like a campfire sing along rather than a showey concert.

4. His Appreciation of Memes

When meme culture thrives, it is sometimes too much for celebrities (remember the Poot Lovato occurrence?) but Mason has been basking in the glow on Twitter, appreciating the support. He understands that meme-age comes from a place of love and appreciate and is fast to retweet the great content being put out their revolving around him. His support of the hysteria for ‘The Yodeling Boy’ just goes to show that he’s a good kid.

I'm an English major in my freshman year. I enjoy writing and utilizing the written word to discuss and speak out about topics important to me, such as feminism and the all encompassing human rights issues of America.
Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy