Weekend Warrior: Low Funds? Still Have Fun!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

The rent is paid. Our nails are freshly manicured. We found a fabulous dress at Forever 21 and still managed to send grandma a birthday card. We are still working for the weekend, but our paycheck has been spent. Just because funds are limited doesn’t mean the fun should be. Here’s a list of eight great things to do for the cost conscious Collegiette:

1. Sprecher’s beverages are everywhere, but have you ever considered where they are made? A tour of the Sprecher’s Brewery is only $3 and includes free and unlimited samples of their famous root beer and other types of pop. For the Collegettes over age 21, there are also samples of four different types of beer. You can’t find a bar that will beat this deal!

2. For a quiet night in, browse the Milwaukee Public Library’s media room. They have thousands of movies and cds to choose from, so you can find exactly what you’re in the mood to watch at no cost.

3. The midnight show on Saturdays at Comedy Sports is a Milwaukee tradition. This show only costs $5 and is full of mature fun. Why sit at home and read 50 Shades of Gray when you can have a few adult laughs with your friends at this Improv event?

4. The Milwaukee County Zoo offers free admission on select Saturdays. Why not stroll past the lions and tigers and bears – Your inner kid will be glad you did!

5. Stop by Conijitos Mexican Resturant which has been voted #1 for Cheap Eats in Milwaukee by the Shepherd Express. The most expensive thing on the menu is only five dollars, and they have a daily drink special that is sure to fit your budget. 

6. Take your man to the Comet Cafe on Sundays where there are baskets of free bacon on each table. He’ll be so excited that he’ll buy the breakfast! After brunch, you can stroll down Farwell Street and people watch.

7. The beach is an obvious place for free fun. If the weather is nice, pack a picnic and have some fun in the sun with your girls. If it’s getting chilly, bundle up and go for a walk. Maybe there’s someone special who will hold your hand.

8. This last suggestion might be cheating because it doesn’t really happen on the weekend, but why limit your fun to three nights a week? Every other Wednesday night, The Charles Allis Museum shows classic films such as Gone With The Wind or Ben-Hur. The show beings at 7:30 pm and only costs $5.

If you are more of a home body, Marquette offers plenty of events you can afford. Bowling at the Annex is about five dollars per game, including shoes. You can also stop by a Late Night Marquette event which could be anything from bingo to sleigh rides. These are free to Marquette students and offer such a variety of events that you’re sure to find one you will like. Or, while you’re watching your movies from the Public Library, you can make some tasty garlic bread out of the leftover bread at Jimmy John’s – you can get two loaves for about a dollar! Like the Cat in the Hat said “It’s fun to have fun, but you have to know how.”  

Hannah McCarthy is a junior studying Broadcasting and Electronic Communication at Marquette University. She is currently the News Director at Marquette Radio. Hannah calls Cincinnati, OH home. In her free time, Hannah obsesses over Public Radio and hopes to be a news reporter after she graduates.