Weekend Warrior: How to Beat the Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

The weekend is roughly fifty fives hours of blissful freedom. You don’t have to wake up to an alarm and trek across campus with your book bag and yoga pants. You can go on adventures, write papers, or simply relax. However, I’m sure most collegiettes have wasted their weekends online or laying on the couch while updating their Netflix queue. Don’t let your days disappear – make the most of your weekends! After all, they only happen once a week. Here are some typical weekend activities that can either be positive or negative, depending on how you deal with them.

Partying

Pro: The weekend is a great time to go out and have fun, whether you go to a bar with some friends or perhaps a house party. It’s college, after all. Let loose and live a little. 

Con: If you have too much fun on Friday night, you may need to spend your Saturday recovering. If this is the case, you probably won’t get much homework finished, nor will you be up for a shopping trip with your friends. Don’t let one evening dictate your entire weekend. 

The Internet

Pro: The weekend is the perfect for catching up on all the      bookmarked articles and Pinterest lists you posted during the  school week. You can answer those e-mails from family and  watched the latest from Jenna Marbles.

Con: Most people only mean to watch one cat video on    youtube, but this can accidentally take up hours of your time.  The internet is full of entertaining thing that link you to other    entertaining things, but collegiettes must keep track of their  time. It’s okay to take a study break on occasion, but it’s not  okay to waste your day on Tumblr or Photobucket.

Homework

Pro: A conscientious collegiette will use her weekend time to
prepare for the upcoming week. It’s never a bad idea to start a
paper early or do a little bit extra for your internship. Sunday nights are significantly less stressful if you plan your work accordingly.

Con: Some collegiettes spend their whole weekend studying. Admirable as this may be, it’s not always a great idea. If you
never get out of study mode and take time for yourself, you’re
likely to burn out during the week. College is all about balance,
so remember to schedule a little fun on the weekends.

Relaxing 

Pro: After a long week of classes, tests, and meetings, the  
  weekend can be just what the doctor ordered. Be sure to  
  take time for yourself. De-stress and do something you  
  enjoy. If you can relax on the weekend, you’ll be refreshed  
  and ready to take on another work week.

Con: Nothing feels better than sleeping in late or staying
  in your pajamas all day. But don’t let your relaxing get in the
  way of productivity. If you’re going to lounge, catch up on
  e-mails or clean your apartment. Remember that the   weekend only last for two days, and they you return to  
  the daily grind. Do let yourself fall behind after a day of  couch time.

Friends

Pros: It’s hard to find time to see all your friends during the school week because every’s schedule is different. It’s great to catch up on weekends and spend quality time together. Plus, it’s way more fun to see friends at the mall or movies
on the weekend than at Raynor during the week.

Cons: Friends have a way of persuading us to go to Dunkin’ Donuts at two a.m. or to take an afternoon train to Chicago
on a whim. Although both these things sound fun, friends
can have a huge impact on our time management, our wallets, and our weekends. No one wants to be the friend
who goes to bed at eleven on Saturday, but don’t let your friends distract you from your daily duties.  

The Boyfriend

Pros: As we mentioned, it’s hard to coordinate schedules    
  during the week. It’s nice to see your guy and go on a proper   date on Friday night or make him breakfast on Saturday    
  morning. The weekend allows for more quality time, and  
  more time in general to do whatever cute couple stuff    
  doesn’t fit into your work week. 

Cons: Just as friends can make weekends fly by, so can
  your boyfriend. Be sure to save a little weekend for youself. 
  Afterall, your nails aren’t going to paint themselves, and your   guy can’t help you decide if coral or teal is a better color choice. 

Hannah McCarthy is a junior studying Broadcasting and Electronic Communication at Marquette University. She is currently the News Director at Marquette Radio. Hannah calls Cincinnati, OH home. In her free time, Hannah obsesses over Public Radio and hopes to be a news reporter after she graduates.