Tis the Season(al Depression)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Tis the Season(al Depression)

As another harsh Milwaukee winter approaches, there are many things to anticipate. The festive feeling of the city during the holidays is always something to look forward to and a start of a new year brings a sense of hope and opportunity. Many people, however, start to notice a negative switch of attitude instead. This is known as Seasonal Depression. It is a very real, yet not commonly discussed, problem. Seasonal Depression, also known as Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), is a mood disorder that occurs during the fall and winter seasons. Some symptoms one might experience include tiredness, sadness, hopelessness, and antisocial behavior. It is surprising how many people experience SAD and do not even realize what is going on or why they feel this way. Fortunately, there are ways to make these cold months less painful so that you can get back to baking cookies and listening to Mariah Carey in peace.

One thing that we are severely lacking in the winter is vitamin D, which comes from sunlight. The days become shorter as the sun rarely makes an appearance and the freezing air causes us to stay inside for most of it anyway. When your body is lacking vitamin D, depression becomes more likely. To combat this, it’s a good idea to hop on over to your local drugstore to pick up some vitamin D supplements. If you are not a fan of swallowing pills, you can still get your daily dose from foods such as, fatty fish, egg yolks, or even milk.

Frequent exercise also helps with SAD. Endorphins are miracle workers and if you can somehow get outside for your workouts, that’s even better. The more time you can spend outside during the day, the happier you will feel. If you can’t be outside, you should at least open up your curtains while you are home to let the sunlight in when possible. Another thing that can be used to ease the symptoms of SAD is aromatherapy. People who experience SAD often find it difficult to fall asleep. A few drops of essential oils in a nighttime bath will help you relax and get a good sleep.

Seasonal Affective Disorder is completely normal and it’s important to be aware of it so that things don’t escalate more than they need to. If you find that your symptoms are severe or not improving, a doctor’s visit is necessary. Your mental health is so important and there are always people who can help and solutions that can be provided for what you are going through. 

Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy