This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Ahh the ever recurring struggle… Do I get that tattoo I’ve been thinking about? College is a popular time to get tattoos and while watching all your friends get one, it’s no surprise you find yourself wanting one too. Just a few things to keep in mind before making the leap into permanent artwork:

1. Is it appropriate? Will you be okay with your parents and future employers seeing it, if it’s in a visible spot? Something may be cool now but you don’t want it stopping you from landing your dream job.

1. Is this something you’ll want a few years down the road? It may be best to wait a few months to see if you still want it or if it’s a passing obsession!

1. Can you afford it? Depending on what you get, tattoos can be expensive (you have to tip too!) and you have to think about the hit your bank account will take. Different artists will charge different amounts too, so make sure to shop around and find a price you’re willing to pay.

1. Will it turn out how you imagine it? We all have ideas of the perfect tattoo but that small writing may blur with time or your tattoo artist may not be able to create that calligraphy you’ve envisioned. Make sure to do research and consult with artists before picking one. After talking with artists you’ll learn that a white ink tattoo may turn an undesirable yellow a few years down the road, and other details you may not have known.

If you’re a spontaneous person and like to act in the moment, you go girl! Just remember to ask yourself these questions, and you can be sure to love your tattoo forever!

Maisie Bentz

Marquette '18

I don't care if I'm a fish, I still want a bicycle.
Prefer to consume my calories in liquid form. Living in the land of beer and cheese. Dreamer. Explorer. Wanderer.