Profile: Lauren Flatley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Name: Lauren Flatley

Year: Junior

Major: Marketing

Minor: English-Writing Intensive

Hometown: Brookfield, Wisconsin

Current Location: Studying Abroad in Galway, Ireland

HCMU: Why did you choose to transfer to Marquette?

LF: The day I chose to go to SLU (Saint Louis University) wasn’t the happy, exciting, my-life-is-going-to-be-so-much-better-once-I-go-to-college sort of feeling that I felt so many other kids my age were feeling. I was nervous and anxious and didn’t feel proud of where I would be spending the next four years of my life. Although I became comfortable with life at SLU, I still wasn’t satisfied; something was missing. So I decided to consider other schools—ones that were closer to home—and Marquette happened to fall amongst the list. I never had the “AHA!” moment when deciding for the second time around, but Marquette seemed like the logical winner: it was both close to home and near a larger city, it had a reputable business program, and my brother, Michael, had had a great freshman experience. I decided to give Marquette a chance, and reflecting now, having been at MU for almost two years, I am so happy I did because my experience has turned out for the better!

HCMU: What are you involved in on campus?

LF: I participate in Campus Kitchens, Fade In: Film Society, and Women in Business. I’ve also volunteered for the Marquette Journal, which was a really interesting experience that taught me a lot about the world of journalism. My biggest commitment on campus has been being the founder and president of Eat Read Love, which is currently the only book club at Marquette.

HCMU: What inspired you to start your book club, Eat Read Love?

LF: I had been scrolling through the list of clubs and organizations at Marquette to find a few organizations that I could join that aligned with my interests. Although there was a diverse array of clubs available, I felt there was something missing. It shocked me to realize they didn’t have an on-campus book club, and being a lover of books, I knew it was something I would have to institute at Marquette.

HCMU: What is your favorite thing about Eat Read Love? 

LF: The opportunity to read awesome books and connecting with people who are just as passionate as I am about reading!         

HCMU: Why did you choose to study abroad?

LF: I’ve always had an urge to travel to world and there seemed no better opportunity to make that dream come true than to study abroad. Now that I am here, I’m so happy I did.

HCMU: What’s your favorite place you have traveled to?

LF: This is a tough one! I still have a few weeks left on my study abroad adventure, so there are a few places I am really looking forward to visiting. Out of the places I have been so far, I absolutely love Edinburgh, Scotland. Not only is it considered the birthplace of Harry Potter, but it’s got a magnificent extinct volcano (Arthur’s Seat) which you climb to get amazing views of the city.

HCMU: What’s your dream place to travel to?      

LF: It’s a tie between Hiking Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania or Iceland!

HCMU: Any advice for freshmen?

LF: A “B” is NOT the end of the world!

HCMU: What’s a fun fact about yourself?

LF: I’m obsessed with reality television. 

Aly Prouty

Marquette

East coast girl trying to figure out why Midwesterners are so sweet. Dancing, photography, coffee, daydreaming and Kappa Delta. Currently studying abroad at National University of Ireland at Galway.
Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy