nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Nothing Tastes As Good As Skinny Feels: A Frightening Movement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

The issue of anorexia is all around the world. Recognizing anorexia as a mental disorder was a big step towards the issue beginning to gain recognition because it became known throughout the world as a problem. The awareness over the years has increased by people hoping to educate others on the disorder. Anorexia effects not only teenagers, but also children and adults, both male and female.

One of the major issues with anorexia is “pro-ana”. Pro-anorexia is an internet-based movement that hails eating disorders as a lifestyle choice. The movement is frequently shortened to “pro-ana” and a member of the community is known as an “ana”. These anorexia websites show users that it is okay to be anorexic. Many teens that are a part of “pro-ana” pages live by the quote “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.” There are a great number of teens in the world that are battling the challenges associated with anorexia. There is an average of 66% high school girls and 17% high school males on some kind of a diet at any moment.

According to the Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders, seven million women and one million men in the United States of America are battling with some sort of eating disorder. Anorexia can be more severe than obesity because anorexia can turn into painful deaths caused by starvation, a cardiac arrest or suicide.

Not only is anorexia a huge problem in the United States, but in Europe as well. In 2006 in Milan, there were many models entering the hospital and dying. In the meantime the same thing was happening over in the United States. At one time, there were six models in critical condition because of their weight, so a law was enacted. The law stated models must have a BMI of 18.9 or higher and be at least 16 years old. Some people argue that models are to blame for the increase in anorexia. Each person in the world idolizes someone; whether it’s a model, athlete, or a super hero. Many teenage girls idolize models. When people see how skinny models are, they want to be just like them. People in this society idolize models as the “perfect people.” Younger children idolize Barbie’s or Bratz dolls. The perception of a “perfect person” can start as young as three years old. Children who are idolizing Barbie don’t know exactly who she is. If Barbie was an actual woman, she would be 5’9” tall, have a 39” bust, an 18” waist, 33” hips, and a size 3 shoe. Barbie likes her weight at 110 pounds and a BMI of 16.24. This criterion is fit to categorize Barbie as anorexic. If Barbie was a real woman, she would have to walk on all fours due to her body type. In 1965, there was a Barbie introduced as “Slumber Party Barbie.”  Slumber Party Barbie came with a bathroom scale permanently set at 110 pounds with a book titled “How to Lose Weight,” with directions inside stating “Don’t Eat.” It is very surprising that those Barbies were even allowed to be sold in stores.

The biggest issue with this disorder is a lack of recognition and awareness. It is important to know the facts to be able to recognize when someone is struggling with this disease. That way, those who need help can seek it before it’s too late. 

Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy