freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Love Yourself This Valentines Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Love Yourself This Valentines Season

February 14th is a wonderful day for many reasons. It is always nice to see love in the air and a little extra appreciation for loved ones. There are flowers and hearts everywhere, and lots of candy (certainly a plus!) Valentine’s day can be a bit of a hard day for those of us who are single. Whether or not we have found Mr. or Mrs. Right, or if we are choosing to be single, it can be challenging to scroll through couples being cute and photogenic on Instagram, while we binge-watch Netflix and eat excessive amounts of Reese’s peanut butter cups ( for me at least).

It was the middle of the morning, and I was drinking a cup of coffee at the Brew, admiring all of the lovely decorations and texting my sister. Although Lily is a year younger than me, she is a lot more mature than I am. “How’s your Valentine’s day?” I asked her. She replied saying that it was okay and that she didn’t have any big plans. “I don’t know about you, but in highschool when I didn’t have a boyfriend, I was upset because everyone carries around their huge teddy bears and roses and I was jealous,” I responded, thinking back shamefully on how I was overdramatic. She responded, “  haven’t seen many huge teddy bears this year! It’s a little irritating, but I am in that place where I don’t need a boyfriend. So I’m a little jealous, but not as much as I’ve been in the past!” My sister never ceases to amaze me with her humor and wisdom. I strive to be like her in these ways and more. She is a beautiful, independent woman, who I can always learn from, despite the fact that she is younger than me.

For me, Valentine’s day ended up being a great day, even though I didn’t do anything particularly out of the ordinary. It is a day for reminding us how all types of love are special, whether that be with a significant other, our families, friends, ourselves, pets and food. It is a day of appreciating the relationships we have with others, no matter how busy or stressful our schedules are. No matter how your Valentines Day was spent, I hope it was amazing, and filled with love for others, and yourself.

Hello! My name is Violette Shearer and I am a freshman studying Speech Pathology and minoring in Spanish! This is my first semester writing for HerCampus. I enjoy running, being in nature, singing, dancing, volunteering, and hanging out with family and friends!
Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy