The Importance Of The Buddy System: College Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

The Importance of the Buddy System: College Edition

You’re not as invincible as you think you are.

When you are a little kid, your parents always tell you never to go someplace by yourself and to take a buddy with you just in case you get lost or something happens and your buddy needs to find help. Throughout time you follow this rule because it’s what you’ve always been told to do. But as you get older, you start to become more independent and get this feeling of invincibility like you can take on the world and no one can stop you.

When you head off to college, you definitely start to realize what it really feels like to be independent and be in control of your own life. You start to feel even more invincible than when you were in high school and take full advantage of being able to do what you want whenever you want.

However, when you’re at a college party, surrounded by people you have just met and drinking a little too much alcohol, you may not realize, but in this moment you aren’t invincible.

College is the best time to bring back the buddy system because you should never try to take on the world by yourself. Especially when alcohol is involved. This is not to say that every time you drink you will be put into a dangerous situation, but sometimes you might drink more than you expected to and need a friend to take care of you and make sure that you get home safely.

It can be scary to not know what’s going on when you’ve become intoxicated, so it is very important to have a friend with you that will make sure you will be okay, not leave a party with someone you don’t know, and be there for you when you wake up the next morning with no memory of what happened the night before.

Before you head off to the coolest party of the night, make sure you have a buddy you can count on to make sure you get home safe and sound.

Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy